Sd22 blowing tons of smoke

If they can be bored out that is something I didn't know, they have sleeves/liners that you replace, but I did see someone on ebay I think that advertised over sized pistons, I thought they didn't know what they were talking about, but I do not know everything.

Rebuilding them costs money, first you need to buy the rebuild kit, I paid around $500.00 for mine back around 2011/12 and it came with everything including the oil pump, I have not seen a kit with everything in a very long time now, then the sleeves/liners have to be removed, I have never done this, but it sounded like my machinist had to beat them out, then I believe he heated the engine up(very hot) and dropped the cold liners/sleeves in the holes and let it cool, I don't know all the steps but that sounded like what he did when he described the process to me(years ago), he also rebuilt the head but he rejected the first head I brought him because of cracks between the valves/valve seats like in the photo below.

DSCN2007.jpg

I believe I did the whole SD22 rebuild for under $2000.00 and I did everything except the sleeves/liners and the head, I found a rebuilt injection pump on ebay but never installed it as after getting the engine on the road I removed it and put in a Turbocharged SD25 I bought that has been in the truck since.

Mike, that link to the engine for sale in my last post said the engine had been tested, but I will admit that I have never heard of that place before, but I also never heard of all them places selling 30,000 mile Japanese engines in the nickel ads, the nickel ads were not the best place to buy from businesses back then either, I would compare the nickel ads and internet to be about the same, both are full of scammers, even Ratsun has scammers.

• Like 2
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/2/2019 at 12:40 AM, wayno said:

I just looked in your area on craigslist and you hardly or don't have any Datsun or Nissan 720 trucks, let alone having a diesel truck being parted out, it is not looking good on Craigslist for you.

You may have to rebuild what you have, I didn't see any rebuild kits on ebay for the SD22, just pistons mostly, all you can really do is remove your engine and tear it down and see if it is worth rebuilding, it may have damage from running it out of oil that is not repairable, maybe the head has cracks between the valves/valve seats which would make the head trash/not worth trying to repair, but you know nothing till you take the engine apart.

I can see you putting thousands into rebuilding your engine and injection pump, a used engine is likely your best bet, I found this in a search, I know nothing about this company, it is what I found in a search, it said free shipping to a shop or commercial address.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH5evf6OLgAhUpHq0GHb5KBk8YABAJGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2Zrg4KI11-jjnlHNu0Hsc&sig=AOD64_2mBYw3ldDoMBzw1TGw3ucjYBEX-g&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiLmubf6OLgAhVHu54KHVNgBOUQ9aACCIMC&adurl=

I found this rebuild kit in a search, it doesn't include a oil pump.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH5evf6OLgAhUpHq0GHb5KBk8YABAOGgJwdg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESEeD2Zrg4KI11-jjnlHNu0Hsc&sig=AOD64_0brnjbhR2rb1u_vtHxKZuvCFzjiQ&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiLmubf6OLgAhVHu54KHVNgBOUQ9aACCJIC&adurl=

Let's say the engine is rebuildalble the site where the rebuild kit is for sale asks me for rod bearing size, main bearing size, and bore size should I just choose standard? (The premium overhaul kit seems to have and oil pump)

Like I said, I have never dealt with that place, but I never had dealt with that Falcon place I got my kit from either.

I ordered standard everything when I ordered my kit, but I didn't run my engine out of oil either, you really need to tear down that engine and have the crank checked and make sure it is good, it may have damage from when it was knocking, and remember I mentioned that the machine shop rejected the first head I brought them, you need to make sure everything is good before buying the kit, and after checked you will know what to order.

I don't know about the bore size, I thought they were all the same as I didn't have that option when I bought my kit, it says the kit comes with liners/sleeves so I am unsure how to answer that question, my gut says bigger is better in this situation as 63hp(???) is better than 61hp, but if that makes the liners/sleeves thinner walled I would likely order standard as I would turbocharge the engine and the beefier the better.

Edited by wayno
On 3/3/2019 at 12:51 PM, wayno said:

Like I said, I have never dealt with that place, but I never had dealt with that Falcon place I got my kit from either.

I ordered standard everything when I ordered my kit, but I didn't run my engine out of oil either, you really need to tear down that engine and have the crank checked and make sure it is good, it may have damage from when it was knocking, and remember I mentioned that the machine shop rejected the first head I brought them, you need to make sure everything is good before buying the kit, and after checked you will know what to order.

I don't know about the bore size, I thought they were all the same as I didn't have that option when I bought my kit, it says the kit comes with liners/sleeves so I am unsure how to answer that question, my gut says bigger is better in this situation as 63hp(???) is better than 61hp, but if that makes the liners/sleeves thinner walled I would likely order standard as I would turbocharge the engine and the beefier the better.

Thank you wanyo! I will make sure to tear the engine first and then choose my sizes for everything.