1983 720 Z24 timing issues?

bweaver

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bweaver said:

why does my truck only run start when my distributor is fully advanced. do you know why that is?

This is what Mike is trying to tell you....

Have you actually put a timing light on it? 

Your probably not really fully advanced,  you just ran out of adjustment room, which means you need to index the oil pump so you can get the correct timing and lock down the plate.....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bweaver said:

I don’t have timing marks. Just TDC mark.

If you know tdc, then make 2 marks with a paint marker, white out or anything you can see.... one on the pulley and a corresponding one next to it ( on something stationary) or even a coat hang bent and attached temporarily to pointing to the mark on the pulley..... 

That will reference tdc, and zero timming.. . If you rent borrow or buy a timing light the newer ones have a dial for advance, usually to check full advance when you go off the pointer scale.... in your case at idle if you only need 3 degrees, I think Mike said, you can set the advance on the dial to 3 degrees and you'll line up your tdc marks...   by lining up the tdc whatever the dial reads is how much advance your running.....

• Like 1

WQdyxvc.jpg

You should have this timing pointer with the saw tooth edges bolted to the timing cover beside the alternator. At TDC, the top point, (ZERO) should have a small nick on the pulley right next to it. Between a point and a notch is 2.5 degrees, between two points is 5 degrees.

• Like 1