77 b210 in 80 210 won't crank

81sunnyson

Ok I've got an issue dropping in older a14. 77 points motor but 80 car and harness. I basically have starter in and trying to just get it to crank with key. Spins fine at crank but starter won't get it to turn over. Trans is connected, neutral, without fork or bearing. Yet to try to slide transmission back. With known good battery and tested starter. Tried a new 80 starter as well same result. Distributor is not wired . I ran a lead to the starter and it slightly moves. Same with key. Im just Trying to just spin motor and attempt compression. Will the distributor need to be connected? No driveshaft connected either. I don't know if lash or valvetrain is off yet. With a socket the crank goes easily in either direction. Just trouble shooting if this is a trans flywheel issue or distributor 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify, are you trying to do a compression check?

cant get the starter to continuously crank the engine to get it?

get a good ground from the battery to the block. Like make sure the end of the battery cable is bolted to the block where there isn’t any paint. If there is sand it and then attatch.  Make sure that cable is good.

I have a ga16 and was checking starter to flywheel clearance/engagement. I was *cranking it with the starter on a homemade stand that sat on the floor.  I bolted the (-) to the block on a threaded boss and then the (+) to the starter and using a push button to the signal wire to turn the engine over. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by rusty12ver
*clarification
On 1/20/2019 at 3:25 PM, 81sunnyson said:

Yet to pull off fuel pump...will a stuck fuel pump cause not to crank? Oil pump is missing sender unit

There may be a problem with what's meant by the work 'crank' used as a verb. Cranking is what the starter does. It turns the engine over in preparation to it firing up and running.

crank1

Dictionary result for crank

/kraNGk/
verb
verb: crank; 3rd person present: cranks; past tense: cranked; past participle: cranked; gerund or present participle: cranking
  1. 1.
    turn the crankshaft of (an internal combustion engine) in order to start the engine.
    synonyms: start, turn (over), get going

An engine can crank or turn over but not start.

Once started it's running. Until it starts it's being cranked, cranked over or turned over by the starter.

To answer your question, no. Lack of fuel won't stop it cranking but it most certainly could sop it from starting.

You must have an oil sender or all the oil will be pumped out the open hole.