Bolt on shocks for 71 Datsun 510

Hi, 

looking to find some direct bolt on rear shocks for my 71 510 sedan. Something that is quality but doesn’t break the bank. Also is there a donor car that would supply bolt on front suspension for my car as well??? Maybe a 240z or a BMW??? I believe the front suspension are coil overs...

thank you!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front suspension is a McPherson strut which combines steering, coil spring and shock absorber into one unit. In a manner of speaking they are coil overs but fixed and not adjustable.

It's common for many Datsun car owners (510, 610, 710, B-210, S10, A10 and maybe the S110?)  to put '79-'83 280zx front struts in their cars. This strut uses a larger hub wheel bearing than the 510 and a shorter strut tube so it will lower the car slightly but best of all monster calipers and dinner dish vented rotors. One hell of a brake up-grade! but you will likely need 14" rims to clear them. The stock 510 coil can be used, shortened if wanted, and used with the 510 top hat. Alternatively you can buy adjustable coil-overs but I can't see spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on something you never adjust. My 710 uses a shortened 710 coil and has adjustable ride height and it cost me $25. If you don't care to do your own modifications and money is no object get the coil over 'kit'.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 71dimeSR20 said:

@datzenmike is there a strut insert (the shock inside of the coil) that would work for stock 71 510 struts?? Like something load adjusting??

I have tokiko inserts in mine that are made for 280zx, I used spacers to make up the length and placed them on the bottom of the tube, worked great.

20161210_161530.jpg

Stock struts are oil bath in that the valve mechanism is inside the oil filled strut tube. What I did when I swapped to the Maxima struts is dump out this thin watery hydraulic fluid and replace with thicker viscosity motorcycle fork oil. This way the unique Datsun compression and rebound valving remains the same. Thicker fluid requires more force to push through the valves so the shock becomes firmer. I tried and seem happy with 20W oil from BellRay. About $12 a liter... enough to do 3 struts. Fork oil comes in many viscosity and is an ideal way to tune your motorcycle suspension and it works on a car just as well.

Load adjusting? I don't think anyone actually gets out and adjusts their shocks. Once you get the car where you want it why would you adjust it softer to drive home?

True enough.  However boughten is not always better. There is no direct replacement for he 510 and the best you can do is one for some other car.

14 hours ago, 71dimeSR20 said:

Something that is quality but doesn’t break the bank. Also is there a donor car that would supply bolt on front suspension for my car as well??? Maybe a 240z or a BMW??? I believe the front suspension are coil overs...

thank you!

All options should be considered. Likely the 510 still has the original oil bath dampers so they would have to be drained anyway. What could be simpler than to just replace the oil? It seems that cost is also a consideration and the owner is not familiar with the dime suspension.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, KoHeartsGPA said:

I have tokiko inserts in mine that are made for 280zx, I used spacers to make up the length and placed them on the bottom of the tube, worked great.

20161210_161530.jpg

What is the part number of the tockico shocks you used? Also what size of spacer did you use??