Tail light bulbs.

510revisited

New-ish to ratsun. I did an introduction in the general discussion. I just bought a 69 510. All the lights work, except the brake lights. I figured it was part of the horn circuit cause the horn isnt working, and cause on my 69 roadster it was wired that way. Ask me how i know. I checked fuses, VISUALLY, and they appear fine. I looked at the bulbs, and low and behold, they are missing. With that being said, can someone let me know what bulb goes where. Out of the 3 bulbs in the housing, the inner most bulbs are missing. Im trying to figure out how to post pics. Thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

T0btUFx.jpgHey thanks for the reply. Upon further inspection i saw that you are correct. I have done a little more investigating and found that my horn has no wiring into the steering wheel. I removed the button on the steering wheel and noticed someone has attempted to grind down parts of the wheel near the nut that holds the wheel to the shaft, almost in a way to clearence something.

oH5Fi9Y.jpg

JRHm8Wt.jpg I put new bulbs in the reverse light sockets but have no reverse lights. I believe due to the fact that the reverse light switch (for lack of proper name) on the tranny is not hooked up. Has anyone found a way, short of rewiring an entire new circuit, to get their brake lights to work with out a horn? If been looking at wiring diagrams and have noticed the horn and lights share a fuse. Im no expert, but i can get around on most problems in a car. But electrical isnt my cup o' tea. One more question. There is a guy who lives down the street from me who is a 510 guy. He believes my dime was an automatic originally because of a "white" box that sits directly above the throttle linkage.

nyAjz2D.jpg

Is he correct, and if not, how can i figure out if it was?

The box with the 'clear' plastic cover is just a switch for the emissions. Auto and manuals had it. For now don't even worry about it.

Look on the engine side of the bottom rad tank. If it was an automatic and it still has the original rad it will likely have two coolant lines capped off.

If brake lights and horn are both not working change the fuse. Don't trust looks... change them.

Reverse lights might also be a fuse.

A quick way to test the horn fuse is to have someone hold the horn button down while you briefly touch a quarter across the fuse clips. Try all the fuses if you don't know which one. If the horn honks that's the bad fuse. Same with the reverse lights. Course if the wires are disconnected....

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the heads up on the emissions box. As for the rad, its new (or at least not stock). Its all aluminum. So no help there. I plan to do some tinkering this week or weekend. I plan to replace all the fuses. I plan to jack the car up to figure out the reverse light situation, blah blah blah. Shouldnt there be a wire under the horn button? Where the nut is that holds the steering wheel on?

• Like 1

The horn wire is mounted on the stationery hub on the steering column. The turning part connected to the steering wheel is supported on bearings in the center of the column. The under side of the steering wheel has a brass ring connected to the horn button. The hub underneath has either a spring loaded button or a springy brass arm that rides on the brass ring on the wheel to make contact no matter how the wheel is turned. The horn button provides a path to ground for the horn relay to turn it on