Confirm manufacture year

Hallow

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say... not really. However the very early '73 610 had them I think gone by '74. The &10 had them through '74 and the 620 had them through '74. These are model year dates with the model year starting around June of the previous year. For example if the car was manufactured between July '73 and June '73 it's a '74 model.

If you have one in your '79  truck it's very possible the donor was also a truck. A '74. If you remove the engine and look at the pressure plate and it's a 225mm then definitely from a truck.

Hmmm....

So, if one was to put an L-18 in a 74 620, there's no easy way to contest that said L-18 isn't of the same model year as the truck? If the answer is yes, than said truck would be smog exempt?

Hypothetically, of course...

L18s were used in the years I listed. I would guess if it had either an L18 or an earlier L16 it would still be exempt. Exempt by year is still exempt. You could put anything in it if it's never going to inspection. However if obviously running a V8 in it and stopped by police they might send in a complaint. Technically you may not alter ANY part of ANY year emissions system even pre '74. But who checks this?

L18 were almost all if not exclusively all using A87 heads. I think the '74 610 (first year L20B) used an A87 head that one year.

Yup, may have two dipstick hole, one pinched closed. Car L18s have a 200mm pressure plate, truck L18s uses a truck 225mm pressure plate. One year only '74.

Not sure what you're after but a '74 is exempt from emissions testing. It should have an L18 in it but who's going to know?

Now if importing this '74 from another state it may have to jump through a few hoops to be registered and then exempt from testing. In this case it would need all the California emissions equipment different from the federal ones (if any) 

Generally speaking, the state of CA doesn't pay much attention to emissions exempt vehicles. Even if it's coming from another state, you may have to have it weighed (commercial reg on a pickup) and you may need a VIN verification, but neither of those inspections involve an emissions check.

Anything pre '76 is fair game for an engine swap. Though maybe not by the letter of the law, they just don't seem to care.

I have found in Oregon, the difficulty or ease of getting a vehicle registered can vary greatly depending on what DMV office you go to.  If you live in the Portland, OR area, use the DMV office in the Mountain park area of Lake Oswego.

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Generally speaking, the state of CA doesn't pay much attention to emissions exempt vehicles. Even if it's coming from another state, you may have to have it weighed (commercial reg on a pickup) and you may need a VIN verification, but neither of those inspections involve an emissions check.

Anything pre '76 is fair game for an engine swap. Though maybe not by the letter of the law, they just don't seem to care.

This.

Thank you all for the input.  That pretty well satisfies my curiosity, you all confirmed what my friends and family were already saying. 

On 7/26/2018 at 12:39 PM, datzenmike said:

If you have one in your '79  truck it's very possible the donor was also a truck

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Not sure what you're after but a '74 is exempt from emissions testing. It should have an L18 in it but who's going to know?

To answer your question Mike, the 79 isn't exempt, and may not pass smog...and a 74 without an engine is for sale near me...