1985 Truck 2.4l Carburetor question

gregtallent

For 10+ years my stepson has wanted his pawpaw's truck. Our boy is 19 now and finally got it. His pawpaw passed away and his mawmaw handed him the keys. Confused at first but then he realized the key. Pawpaw's truck? So that's the short story. The truck has sat for 2 years. All original so no motor parts have been deleted. I have done the following. New battery. New fuel filter. Dropped and cleaned gas tank. New everything for brakes. New oil sending unit cause it was leaking oil. I sprayed Carb cleaner in the Carb throat and on linkages etc. A squirt of wd40 on linkages and the springs. Now the problem. I'm not mechanically inclined by no means but i think it needs a new Carb or rebuilt which I can't do so a shop would have to rebuild it. I can get a new Carb and swap it out though myself for probably cheaper than a shop to rebuild lol. But before I buy a new Carb I wanted your opinion. I pat the gas pedal 2 times and it cranks right up and idles perfect for bout 30 seconds. Then high idle bout 2000rpm for bout 15 seconds and then bout a mouth full amount of gas spits up out of the Carb and of course goes dead. I can immediately turn the key only (no pats to gas pedal) and it cranks right up and repeats the above statement. I have drove it down the road a mile and the manifold is glowing red. So I cut off the cat and muffler but still does it. From what I got off goggle it is the Carb causing the problem. What's yall opinion? Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a '62 Ford Econoline that had a yellow glow on the exhaust. Wouldn't restart after. I never tried to find out why but was told it was a slipped timing chain which can happen on most big three designs when worn. I've never heard of an L or Z series chain slipping or skipping a tooth as it has a tensioner. They can be put on wrong but I can't imagine enough slack to jump a tooth.

I had a '62 Ford Econoline that had a yellow glow on the exhaust. Wouldn't restart after. I never tried to find out why but was told it was a slipped timing chain which can happen on most big three designs when worn. I've never heard of an L or Z series chain slipping or skipping a tooth as it has a tensioner. They can be put on wrong but I can't imagine enough slack to jump a tooth.

I can, I had one skip and it really fell apart then. Valves were making out with pistons and it would have sucked a rag in the exhaust pipe when you turned the starter motor. Blew everything and the kitchen sink out the carburetor too. (big fireballs) I just gave up at that point and bought a used 720 motor, no regrets.

Now I am not sayin you skipped a couple teeth gregtallent as your rig is not nearly as sketchy as that one was when I bought it.