door weatherstripping?

Madness

Im looking for a new set of door seals, I ordered a set of the universal door seals out of jc whitney but they seem to be to big. The door wont close without slamming and its a bitch to get it open again.

what have you used? Id like to order from the JC Whitney cat. again but i need to know what style and size to use....

Thanks

Bart

Pic of the truck :)

343887640ca6.jpg

bad cell pic

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also looking for a set of door weather strip.There is a guy on E-bay that has some but I thought they were a bit pricey.The guy calls himself reddat and for $92.99 us buy it now,you can have booth sides don`t forget there will be shipping included.Would be nice to find some cheaper.

I think I remember reading that thread,I thought the weather strip he used wasn`t quite right.More must have been added to that thread if he figured it out and got one to work.I will have to search for this weather strip thread again.

My old 74 courier had a similar style door seal, I went to the yard and got some from a taurus? I think. They were from one of those shitbox throw away american cars. I just went around the newer cars and found something that I could put that would work and wasnt torn to hell. It helped that there were also old minitrucks in the yard back then(95ish) that werent raped for parts in 2 minutes.

If you get some silicon lubrication spray from napa it will soften the seals up a bit and make the doors close easier. Use it liberally.

All in all it probably cost $15 (including the silicon) and it made me realize that I needed a hell of a lot more than door seals to quiet all the rattles:lol:

Probably didnt help that I knocked the alignment straight on a camping trip jumping a firebreak on an old logging road at about 6500 rpm in 3rd. And I didnt even spill my beer on the landing... not even when the old sachs-dolmar chainsaw bounced up and smacked the back window:rolleyes: Woke up in the morning to a broken chainsaw case and a dent on the cab on the passenger side from the saw case and dents and scratch marks on the driver side from the chain... both at head level:blink:

Anyways, good luck with the door seals, and drinking and reminiscing is better (and safer) than drinking and driving, and sorry its not a datto story.

I was the one who did the thread on the door seals but I kinda abandoned it. I was never able to nail down the specific part number for the seals that did work but they rock. There are TONs of seals from all RV manufacturers and I also dont work there anymore so I cant research it any more.

I heard the early 80s ford ranger seal worked. Unfortunately $100 for both sides aint that bad of a deal.

If you have seals that are torn up then small dabs of super glue applied along the tears will patch it up. Go slow and start at the inside of the tear and let it dry as you go.

I think im just going to wonder around in a junk yard trying to find a car with huge doors and smaller seals. The 521 has a really small gap between the pinch weld and the door and there aren't any companies that make a door seal that goes on the pinch weld that would fit in that gap. I really dont want to resort to stick on seals. And i have to replace them at this point, I ripped out the old ones because they were so messed up and I cant deal with wind leaks. So far 5 sheets of dynamat, carpet padding, Side window seals and im going to pick up some windshield and rear window seals. The Flintstone floors prove the truck has some leaks :blink:

The white walls are atlas port-a-walls. I made a mistake when i bought them and had to pay for the shipping from Turkey :mad: They came out of an abandon volkswagen dealership out there so i guess they have a pretty cool story.

One more question. Is the windshield rope in?

Hey Madness..What up?:cool:

I think that some older Vdubs had a pretty narrow opening between the door and the seal area. Might try one of them.

After seeing your porta-walls, I am going to get a belt sander and grind my little white walls into bigger little white walls:D

Where did you get you Dyna-mat? What carpet did you use? Did it help the freakin amazing amount of road noise in a 521 cab? Maybe I oughta call and chat....'der!!!!:blink::blink::blink:

Peace:D

i was lookin for a good set myself but did find a place i used to buy my white walls from they have lots to choose from there the slap on ones http://www.vintagewarehouse .com vw i ran them on my slammed red 620 and all my vws there 80 buks plus shipping 2 inch wide 14 inch 15 inch i think they have 16 inch to all 2 inch wide whites

I am also looking for a set of door weather strip.There is a guy on E-bay that has some but I thought they were a bit pricey.The guy calls himself reddat and for $92.99 us buy it now,you can have booth sides don`t forget there will be shipping included.Would be nice to find some cheaper.

them ($42 + shipping - http://stores.ebay.com/THE-WEATHERSTRIP-STORE), will report back when they show up.

I've made a few purchases from reddat - good products (often O.E.) and good service, but some of his stuff is a bit pricy (last time I checked, he was getting $119 for 620 door seals, and they were NOT original Datsun).

Edited by BarryA
left something out
Hey Madness..What up?:cool:

I think that some older Vdubs had a pretty narrow opening between the door and the seal area. Might try one of them.

After seeing your porta-walls, I am going to get a belt sander and grind my little white walls into bigger little white walls:D

Where did you get you Dyna-mat? What carpet did you use? Did it help the freakin amazing amount of road noise in a 521 cab? Maybe I oughta call and chat....'der!!!!:blink::blink::blink:

Peace:D

I got the dynamat from ebay but there is another web site my friend found that sells sound deadening for really cheap and by the sq. foot and i guess its just as good as dynamat. I got the carpet padding and some other stuff from JC Whitney. Seriously go pick up a catalog. Its well worth it, They have carpet kits! I think... what's the difference between the 71 floor and the 68????

i just ordered door seals for an air cooled bug... we'll see how they do. Because of the reviews it looks like they are universal, A couple of people have used them on other cars like a 77 toyota and an 81 ranger. Seems to be the ticket and they are only 20.99 a pair.

Edited by Madness