Truck dies while in gear and stopped, but not in neutral or motion.

cheetah79857985

If I understand my research correctly, checking and replacing the valve lash is going to be a huge project (for me, I've gone as far as I can with the knowledge I have. I don't know about cams, how to get the cover off, much of anything about pistons.) that don't have the appropriate time, tools, or even surroundings (I live in an apartment complex) to undertake. I dont understand the timing advance either. Do I need to buy a timing light (those gun-looking things) and attach it to one of the vacuum hoses? I do appreciate all the help that's been given.

And BTW, letting the engine warmup for five to ten minutes did give me a smoother ride, but the problem of the engine "jumping" was still there.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a timing light connects to the number 1 plug wire and the battery positive and negitive its basicly a strobe light that goes off when number 1 fires

to check the valve lash your going to need a set of fealer gadges and a 10mm scoket 5 inch extention and a ratchet look up how to do it (if you have a factory service manuel that would be perfect) you start by removing the 6 valve cover bolts to remove the valve cover (pictured here circled in green) since i havent adjusted the valves in mine yet i cant tell you any more but this is a good start i hope it helps

l20b2.jpg

Go here:

http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3582

.. go down about half way first page. Look for 'more L series info' : Mklots valve clearance adjustment. All you need is a couple of wrenches and a set of feeler gauges. $10- $20 to buy, but a mechanic will charge you an hour's labor to do this. Don't pay for his house and car payments!!!

Edited by datzenmike