First Datsun 620 pickup

Hi Ratsun community!

So I bought my first Datsun a couple weeks ago and I been tinkering around with it a bit. I've been sifting everyone's post on here first of all I gotta say it's a great community here. So i finally decided to join you guys. Everyone's information has been super helpful in things I've been trying to learn and figure out on my little truck.

I start by introducing my truck it's a 76 720. Or so I was told it's a 76. I read that they stopped the outside air dampers in 75. But I have them. Haha. Anyways. It's got L20 3 speed automatic in it. With stock carb. The previous owner said that its all original parts, engine wise anyways.

I forgot to mention the PO is an employer I sometimes work for when my field gets slow. He had started working on it. But I guess lost interest in it. When he realized he's was to tall for it. He had a bunch of new parts he gave me with the truck, like some new tail lights, some new weather stripping for the doors and some new Nissan locks. He even had some window squeegee frames that I don't think for this truck. He even had a new dash cap that I don't really care for it was still in the bag. I don't think I'm going to use it. I was thinking about trying to repair the dash on my own. I've seen a lot of threads talking about repairing them. Anyways the dash was kind of a mess. when I got it the dash was totally taken apart aside from the cluster just sitting in the frame. The seats and door boards have been redone but area little worn already.

The plus side about this truck and why I bought it was the engine runs perfect it starts every time. And has no leaks anywhere. The carb could do with some tweaking, it runs a little rich. All in time though.

Anyways here's some picks for you guys.

image_zpsfdveiwd5.jpeg

image_zpsdqp6oxkf.jpeg

image_zpsifmqjn5m.jpeg

Any advice and criticism is welcome!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, that is clean and straight!

The 'air dampers' Nissan calls them 'rear pillar grills'. I don't see yours but maybe they are off. Last used on July '75 at the end of the '75 model year. Maybe they had a few cabs left over.

Running rich could just be the engine warming up with the choke on.... or it's stuck. All in good time.

Welcome to Ratsun.

Hi

Welcome aboard .

Nice little truck , super clean , any plans for wheels or lowering it a bit ? .

maybe some better brakes , I am not a fan of automatics in older little trucks or cars , I built an 1987 D21 hardbody rat rod garden truck for my mom ,with an automatic and it sounds like a 747 when you leave the lights !!!!

Plus they rob a lot of power .

Well enjoy your new toy , it's a great bunch here at Ratsun .

Cheers Fast720

I like automatics for a build project because they are much harder to abuse. They're just too boring, but they tend to last longer and are survivors because of this. I wouldn't say they rob power, they just apply it differently.  

Looks like a great foundation for a nice build. Being somewhat close over in Orange County, I hope to see it around some day. From the color shown on the inside of the cab, yours started off the same color as mine. I like your green much better. 

Looks like a great foundation for a nice build. Being somewhat close over in Orange County, I hope to see it around some day. From the color shown on the inside of the cab, yours started off the same color as mine. I like your green much better.

20170325_131430%201_zpsxjkh2s7g.jpg

Yeah 2wheel-Lee it was originally orange I didn't really notice till me and my pop were looking at it together. But I like the green better it's more unique around my part of town. So everyone will know my truck! Haha. And I actually bought it in orange. Off of katela. Right by the orange circle.

• Like 1

HiWelcome aboard .Nice little truck , super clean , any plans for wheels or lowering it a bit ? .maybe some better brakes , I am not a fan of automatics in older little trucks or cars , I built an 1987 D21 hardbody rat rod garden truck for my mom ,with an automatic and it sounds like a 747 when you leave the lights !!!!Plus they rob a lot of power .Well enjoy your new toy , it's a great bunch here at Ratsun .Cheers Fast720

Yes fast720. First I plan on straitening up the interior like carpet and the dash. so I can drive it comfortably. But my first major thing I wanna do is disk conversions to the front breaks. The drums work okay but not for a dead stop. It's kind of sketchy. And I think I might want to lower the front a but not so much the back I don't really know yet I haven't come to a final decisions. And I think I'm gonna keep the rims and tires pretty close to how they are. I was thinking about cleaning up the white and chrome on the rims but adding a green strip in there somewhere. And in the future maybe some white walls tires. So the color scheme all stays the same. I'm not really thinking about rat ridding it out but who knows things might change down the road. I'm not planning on selling this baby for quite some time. So I got time.

I like automatics for a build project because they are much harder to abuse. They're just too boring, but they tend to last longer and are survivors because of this. I wouldn't say they rob power, they just apply it differently.

Thanks datzenmike. I wasn't really planning on an automatic. But I couldn't pass this up when the opportunity came by. Plus when I bought it he dropped the price a grand because he was leaving for London that same week. Plus it's a project and it will be just a weekend truck for around town, maybe to a show or a meet every once in a while.

More Datsuns in So Cal  :thumbup:

Full box of what looks to be 1 1/2" pipe insulation in the background. I think Im gonna call you "Zeston"  :w00t:

Welcome aboard!

Frankrizzo good catch haha it's actually 2 in insulation we installed some boilers out I'm Anaheim right next to disneyland at the begining of the year and I had to up all the copper pipes from 1.5 to 2 inch.