Rear brake drums

SRSANDS

Took apart my rear brakes recently.....holly fk!!!!! No wonder I couldnt push the rusty bastard up a little hill onto my car trailer in the pouring rain!!! Well let me tell you tha quick story first before I ask my boring brief question.....

Went to look at a 100 dollar dime in North Bend (Wanted one for awhile....too much until that find)

Took the wife...when we saw it she said get it......of course cheaper than a pair of her jeans! Drove back to Puyallup and the next day me and her drove back up with a car trailer that cost more to rent than the car not to mention the gas in my truck! Got there....it was pouring ass rain. Thought it would take 20 minutes with just me and here to push it up onto the car trailer.....guess again 3 hours later and help from the sellers mom....in down pour it was on its way to its new home!! A day to remember but worth it:lol:

Any ways...kinda the wrong place to post that but to get to the root of the question.....shits all rusty...need to replace cylinders, get new shoes, and have the drums turned....alot of grooves in the drums so I dont care to have them turned what year and model donor car can I get the aluminum drums???

And do all I have to do is cut the dust sheild off the existing 510 mount?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend flushing the lines out with new brake fluid until it comes out clean. Then and only then install the new wheel cylinders. I'd also replace the soft hoses no matter how good they may look. They are old. They swell. New ones make a world of difference. If you want a firmer pedal, the braided stainless hoses do that trick.

Also, remove the adjusters from the backing plate. There are two nuts holding them on. Keep track of which one goes on which side of the car - they are different (the driver side is reverse threaded). Once off the car, clean and PB Blast the fuck out of them. Get the two pieces apart. Then clean them up nice and purty. Then put some grease on the threads and put back together.

You will never adjust your brakes if you don't give the adjusters a once over. Be gentle with them while getting them apart and they will be good as new.

While you are at it, disconnect the front hoses, flush the fluid same as the rear, install new hoses and bleed.

I can't overemphasize how important it is to flush all the old brake fluid out of the lines.