L24 in a 620

scooter

so.. yes i'm new here and i'm probibly gonna get flamed for asking.. but..

has anyone else around here tried to shoehorn that big ol' straight 6 in a 620?

i may be picking up an L24 along with a 4 speed tomorrow :D

i was measuring it out today and it should fit with some cuttin to the rad support and clearancing that front crossmember a little bit.. I dont really have a problem with puttin the rad out back cus i'm pretty sure its not gonna fit in front anymore..

one thing that would make this super easy too is if the motor mounts were in the same place.. does anyone have the measurement from the motor mounts to the bellhousing?

:confused:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv seen it done on a 510 so I dont see whey its not possable, how much fab work youll have to do is another story lol

from what part of the motor mount to the bell housing? Iv got an L28 on the stand right now and the outside dimentions are the same, I could messure it out for you.

sweet.. i can compare it to were it mounts on the 4 banger.. this is gonna be dead easy if i dont have to fuck with the motor mounts or the tranny mounts :D

if u wanna go from the bellhousing to the closest bolt hole i think thatll work

Edited by scooter
i'm dumb?

This has been discussed. There are an infinite number of way to Eff it up and only one or two to get it right. That's a huge long heavy motor to put in there for only another 30 hp gained. There are lots of powerful 4 cylinder motors that out power the L24 and don't weigh much. Add to that they fit!! Where are you putting the rad??? What about the L24 oil pan, is it going to clear the front 620 strut and steering cross rod??? Have you looked where the crank pulley is going to sit in the middle of the front cross frame??? If you move the motor and tranny back you have to butcher the firewall and remove the heater. Take a goooood hard look then look up how to swap a KA24E or KA24DE in there.

Is that a pre '74? If so the tranny length is possibly shorter than the the one on the L24.

Edited by datzenmike

i'll have to cut the cross frame and modify it...

i dont think the rads goin in the front.. its probibly going to go in the bed.

you raised a good point though.. i didnt even think of where the oil pan is going to sit relative to the steering/ crossmember.

i know that the KA swap would be a great one but i dunno... the L24 has only 30 more than the L16?

the other part is i can get that L24 for free and it comes with the 4 gear so i can get rid of that horrible automatic.

if i could get an sr or a ka for a few hundred bucks i'd go for it... in my opinion its kinda funny to put a 1500 dollar motor/tranny in a 300 dollar truck lol

when i get the motor i'll measure it up and decide if its worth the effort.. maybe i'll just have to sell that motor and look for a KA donor truck :)

well theres good news and some mediocre news..

good news is i have a long tail tranny (isnt that odd for a 73?) thats right 31 or so inches.

one thing i noticed is the slip yoke seemed to be right against the tranny.. normal? it wasnt bound up and its not leakin so i guess its ok.

and as for the motor mounts, they need to be moved forward about 6 inches.. no big deal.. BUT it looks like theyll be directly over the idler arm on the steering.. really close to the steering box on the left side. That guy really needs to drop that motor off so i can measure the pan. I can modify the crossmember if i have to but i dont wanna touch the steering.

so my 3 problems i see so far putting the L24 in the 620 is: (edited)

1. wheres the rad gonna go?

2. clearancing the front cross brace so it doesnt hit the crank pulley

3. moving the front motor mounts forward about 6 inches

edited: i've looked at a bunch of pix on the interweb of L24 oil pans and i think the oil pan will clear the steering no problem. I MAY have to modify the crossmember though.

so its really down to some cuttin, weldin, and stuffin a rad in there somewhere, I might be able to get away with cuttin into the rad support and into that inside bumper piece and stick it in there... a big thin aluminum one....

Edited by scooter
saw oil pan pix
the other part is i can get that L24 for free and it comes with the 4 gear so i can get rid of that horrible automatic.

Free ain't free if you never get the project done and/or it costs ya a ton of time and money. Plus the resale??? These things rarely get any payback, but you're really narrowing the potential buyer pool.

It sounds like the auto tranny is your main gripe. If so, just swap trannies. Minimal downtime. In the end it's your vehicle...and time....and money....

...and please update your profile with your Location.

Edited by ppeters914

the auto IS probibly one of my main gripes..

this thing isnt my daily driver either.. i'm just kindof havin fun with it.. I got the truck for 300 bucks and i have probibly about 50 bucks into it so far.

so far theres been no cutting.. the L16 is still in it.. i'm waitin for the guy to drop off the L24 and 4 speed so i can see what its like..

i've been told the motors good but we'll see.. even if its just okay i can use it for mock up and run it till i find a L28 to turn it into a monster

my other hidden reason for doing this is i've been helpin my gramp build a v8 s-10 and the beast is all together allmost ready for paint..

i got full access to everything i need to get that long ass motor in there.. i'd just like it to somewhat keep up to that beast