Messed up Electrical!

Datsundude123

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the voltage regulator but not the stock mechanical one.

Put you hand on it and be sure it's making the noise.

Is this just with the key ON or also with the engine running?

If just with the key on does the red charge light flicker when the regulator is making sounds?

Only connection between the steering wheel and the alternator regulator is the ignition switch on the steering column. Check it's plugged in securely and not loose. Without turning the wheel wiggle the wires and see if this causes the sounds.

Unbolt it and clean the contact area around the screws. The regulator must be well grounded to the body sheet metal..

• Like 2

Looks like the voltage regulator but not the stock mechanical one.

Put you hand on it and be sure it's making the noise.

Is this just with the key ON or also with the engine running?

If just with the key on does the red charge light flicker when the regulator is making sounds?

Only connection between the steering wheel and the alternator regulator is the ignition switch on the steering column. Check it's plugged in securely and not loose. Without turning the wheel wiggle the wires and see if this causes the sounds.

Unbolt it and clean the contact area around the screws. The regulator must be well grounded to the body sheet metal..

Nevermind! It's not the voltage regulator its this little plug in/solenoid thing.

20160330_231535_zpsrqlsbbbj.jpg

Nevermind! It's not the voltage regulator its this little plug in/solenoid thing.

20160330_231535_zpsrqlsbbbj.jpg

I think that's your horn relay!  Nice of someone to paint all the wires so ID is next to impossible.

But that looks like a '77 relay bracket.  A '76 only has one relay there- the choke heater.  '77 moved the horn relay to the bracket (it had been under the glove box in '76, which is where it is in my '76, one way to prove I really do have a '76 King Cab, not an "Early '77")

I assume the horns themselves are disconnected.  That's a nice little battery drain right there.   What's odd is the horn should do that even with the key off, as the horn is an "Always hot" circuit.  My '76 has the same problem, so my relay is disconnected.  The problem could be in the horn button pad itself (loose contact) or the switch unit on the column is damaged (which is the problem mine has).

I think that's your horn relay! Nice of someone to paint all the wires so ID is next to impossible.

But that looks like a '77 relay bracket. A '76 only has one relay there- the choke heater. '77 moved the horn relay to the bracket (it had been under the glove box in '76, which is where it is in my '76, one way to prove I really do have a '76 King Cab, not an "Early '77")

I assume the horns themselves are disconnected. That's a nice little battery drain right there. What's odd is the horn should do that even with the key off, as the horn is an "Always hot" circuit. My '76 has the same problem, so my relay is disconnected. The problem could be in the horn button pad itself (loose contact) or the switch unit on the column is damaged (which is the problem mine has).

So should I just disconnect it?

Remove the steering wheel. This will allow you access to the turn signal and horn button contact under neath. There's nothing to burn out as the horn wire simply grounds to energize the relay when you use it. Probably the wire is off and rubbing something that's grounded. You really should fix this as it is a safety device. It can quickly warn some pedestrian/animal in the road or a driver who isn't paying attention. It doesn't get much use but you only need it once to save your self a lot of grief. probably illegal to NOT have it working.

Remove the steering wheel. This will allow you access to the turn signal and horn button contact under neath. There's nothing to burn out as the horn wire simply grounds to energize the relay when you use it. Probably the wire is off and rubbing something that's grounded. You really should fix this as it is a safety device. It can quickly warn some pedestrian/animal in the road or a driver who isn't paying attention. It doesn't get much use but you only need it once to save your self a lot of grief. probably illegal to NOT have it working.

Thanks man!