5.3 720 Questions?

SlowProne

I recently got a 5.3 chevy engine out of a 2003 suburban and plan to put it in my 1984 Nissan 720. I want to replace the drums in the rear for rotors but can find anything on what i can use to swap it anyone have any ideas? as well as the oil pan issue I've been reading about people using the trucks pan with a 240 and combining it obviously thats for a ka swap but is there anything like that which  i could use for the 5.3 swap? Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge number of oil pans available for the LS stock from GM due to the number of vehicles that engine platform has been used in. You will have too do the research though. No one on here runs an LS 720.

You might be able to use rear disc conversion from a 620 as they use the same axle size. Not sure anyone sells one for the 720 specifically.

• Like 1

Discs won't stop any better than the 10" drums but they are simpler, easier to maintain (actually nothing to maintain or adjust) pads are easier to change. If racing you might get the drums hot enough to fade and here discs would be an advantage but the biggest overall advantage to discs is.... they look cool as hell.

• Like 1

Your probably going to want a F-body oil pan for that conversion. It is one of the shorter(depth) pans that GM offered, and you are going to need that minimal depth to get that motor in the chassis without the pan hanging under the crossmember.

The Fbody pan fit in my C10 perfectly. That 5.3 will be absolutely stupid power for a 720. Enjoy.

A setup that may work for these rear ends is 2001ish Isuzu Rodeo Sport rotors and 1998ish Mustang Cobra rear calipers. I'm building a 4wd Toyota pickup rear end with this setup. The rotors fit over the axle flange and the calipers have integrated parking brake. I haven't measured, but the axles look similar in size. You'll have to make your own brackets and figure a way to hook up the parking brake, but it should work on these trucks, also.