earth ground for chassis harness???

joshiroku

EDIT:  I think it was 1.00 - the tap worked pretty hard all the way.  And a 20mm engagement new bolt is sloppy.  (I remember when I was a teenager, this amazing German mentor Mercedes driver bitched about how they used fine pitch threads in aluminum.)

RE:  BODY GROUND:  The large black loom wire going to my horn relay:  I took it off and scrutinized it:  length, way it was bent, ring diameter, etc.  and there is no doubt, it was supposed to go to the top, right radiator mounting bolt.  So that will be a major fix/correction.  I will keep the braid from that bolt to my bat net terminal.

RE:  BURNED OUT ALTERNATOR BLACK LOOM WIRE:  I will run wire from Regulator to Alternator.  It may be from Reg Mtg. Screw OR I may connect it internally.

Does anyone (Mike) know what the thread is on the ground strap head boss?  Turns out mine had a cement-like bug egg deposit.

QUESTION:  Is it M8-1.25?   (it almost has to be since M8, 1.25 is considered Coarse and 1.00 Fine)

However, the threads are very nasty and while the thread gauge suggests 1.25, it is still a judgement call.  

A new M8-1.25 bolt does about 1 turn if that and is cockeyed.  A tap feels like first thing will be to cut metal before any thread engagement is felt.

This may be a moot point, since I'm going to have to try the 1.25 tap...

Oh well...

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

I've got the Neg Bat Cable now to the proper head boss AND the big black loom wire by the headlight relay going to the radiator mounting bolt.

I also have a 10ga wire from Net Bat Terminal to that radiator mounting bolt.

NOTE:  From what I can tell, the big black loom spade connector to Neg Bat Term how the bat is connected to the body.  There may be a direct loom wire to the radiator loom black, but even if there is, there are many splices in the loom.  I don't like that.  With my 10ga wire, the loom black "octopus" is getting fed from 2 points.

The VR black is still broken, but there is < 0.1 ohms from the VR mounting bolts to the Neg Bat Term.  Although I don't need it, I play to run a wire from the VR to the alternator.  I may actually reconnect the popped VR loom black wire.  It is reduced in gauge, but if everything else is working, there should be little current through it.  I'm trying to find some "vinyl dip" to re-insulate it since the insulation was all burned away - including a little "spot weld ball" on the 1" stub coming out of the loom.

RE:  Burned wire in loom:  Actually this is not a factor since the only place the insulation burned off the wire is where it was free in the air - in fact, it burned about midway between the VR and the Loom.  The VR black wire insulation was intact where it was in contact with other wires so I think the loom will be just fine.  I suppose I could dig into the loom to get a better connection, but the VR loom connector will still be a problem.

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Like 1