Sd22 fuel filter help

67 411

I was going to change my fuel filter but I noticed a wire plugged into the bottom of the filter. My new filter has nothing on the bottom if it. What is the wire?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two fuel filters. One looks much like an inline gas filter with two hoses and is the primary filter. The other look somewhat like a screw on oil filter with a screw on sensor in the bottom that a wire connects to. Just drain the filter unscrew with an oil filter wrench, screw the sensor in the bottom and install again and put the wire on.

FSM says 'sensor' ... what it does I haven't found out for sure. There is a thing called a sedimentor... maybe??? It separates any water from the fuel. The guy to ask is wayno. . 

The wire is connected to a sensor(labeled as "sedimentor") in the bottom of the filter that is screwed in, it detects sediment/water and when and if it does detect such, the glow plug light will turn on in the dash.

I connect it up if I am using that filter, if I am using an aftermarket filter without the sensor, I just let the wire lay there unconnected to anything, fact is I have a filter that has it connected, I have never seen the light come on from either sediment or water.

The rule for buying diesel fuel is, never ever buy diesel fuel where there has been flooding.

DSCN5288.JPG

DSCN5289.JPG

• Like 1