620 drive line please help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having rear u joint problems. I think my 1974 Datsun 620 has a bad u joking hole. If u have a rear drive shaft or an option that is fairly inexpencive. please help!

Awesome! Thank you...yes new carrier bearing and it failed on the diff end.

Not very clear at all what you mean. What's a 'u joking hole' ? The carrier bearing is in the middle. Carrier bearing never go bad...well two have in all of Ratsun in 8+ years. People change them when not needed.

The 620 is a two part driveshaft with three U joints. One at transmission, one at the differential and one in the middle. Two questions....

1/  Can you see damage that is obvious? if so, where is it?

2/  If you can't tell what the problem is, describe what it is doing?

My brand new carrier bearing went bad. I think when lowering the 620 it pushes the driveshaft forward putting a tearing load on the rubber ring around the bearing. 

I plan to build a one piece shaft to eliminate the issue.

• Like 1

The rubber ring or insulator rides on the outside of the bearing which is stationary and it allows the drive shaft to spin inside it. There is hardly any load on it. The driveshaft is well balanced and it only hold it's weight and supports it. The front driveshaft can move forward on it's transmission spline.

I've never had a carrier bearing go bad.

I've had plenty of the carrier bearing rubber insulators go bad though.   The one on my now departed lifted ex 4X4 '76 longbed was non existent.  At any speed over 30 MPH it quit banging around and just hovered in the hoop, no vibration at all.  Not quite optimal though.

• Like 1