Hose connection?

SRSANDS

On my L16 motor where the upper radiator hose connects the the water inlet there is another little threaded fitting that I have capped off currently. The cap is begining to swell and get ready to burst due to the pressure of the hot coolant. Can someone tell me where this connection goes and whats it purpose. I was thinking it may connect the another fiting I ave capped of at the base of the carb on the mani but im not sure. :confused: If you can send me a pic or let me know

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would run with them hooked up.

Warm water will flow through the intake to warm the air. This is especially beneficial during the winter and increases the engine's efficiency and improves drive ability.

The hose from the thermostat housing is even more important. It pulls hot water past the thermostat. Without it the engine will heat up but there will be a delay in the thermostat opening because the cooler water around it isn't moving.

heres what i do. run one hose from the water neck on the side of the timing cover to the intake manifold. thus bypassing the thermostat t connection, meaning no ugly metal tube. about half didn't have the thermostat t anyway, i think those are the older l16's. now you can plug the thermostat hole or if your really cool like me you buy the corrector adapter and run your aftermarket tripple mini gauge with water temp to that hole thus having the original water temp and a after market one. :cool:

there were 2 types(a hot water line with a spout and 1 that went straight to the intake manifold)

1 with a bypass as you mention to the hot water line to intake and one that DID NOT have this.

if you dont have the hot water line spout to the lower stat housing just maybe drill a 1/8 hole in the stat and that will be the bypass needed.

save those water lines and lower stat housings. I like the ones with no holes if sidedraft cars will be used

Agree with Mike - don't run it without intake mani heater line. I blocked off mine, thinking it's hot enough where I live not to need it. Wrong - truck took forever to warm up, mileage was worse.

The raw gas will probably wash oil off cyl walls too - result in faster bore wear.