DIY Hitachi carb insulator, what material to use?

Rays74

I know the orig was some type of Japanese Bakelite.........the DCH340 carbs I use have a bit of a unique base to them that is making finding a good used item tough.....sooooo I want to make my own.

Anybody know of a similar material avail?

thx

--Ray

Here's a similar part, the thickness shown is approx twice what I would want

s-l1600_zpsr2e8kzua.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UHMW  will work . I have used it many times to fabricate carburetor spacers.

Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene is often referred to as the world’s toughest polymer. UHMW is a linear high density polyethylene which has high abrasion resistance as well as high impact strength. UHMW is also chemical resistant and has a low coefficient of friction which make it highly effective in a variety of applications. UHMW can be crosslinked, reprocessed, color-matched, machined and fabricated to meet most customer requirements. 

I buy it in scrap form from manufacturers who machine parts from it and have random remnants. It's pretty easy to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a good used OEM one from a later L18 made from some sort of paper or fiber...lol. Put a few minutes with it on the surface plate to be sure no warp (using 100 grit then 400) and wala now we have a viable insulator! yay no more overheated carb body :)

Thanks for the advise, gonna keep looking for the good material to make my own out of but for now we're good to roll.

--Ray