fouling and smoking

datsunfish

My l18 is acting up again. Its smoking and it doesnt go away like before. After changing the carb it wont stop fouling out and I am pretty sure the carb is good,its a holley 5200 that I rebuilt. I bead blasted all the ports and dipped it so I know its not clogged.

I had the fouling issue before and it did it with 4 different carbs until I put on a small port mani.

I think I am just going to put my l20b in there with a w58 head. I wonder though if a lack of compression and blow by along with the small port head with small cam would cause a lack of burn in the combustion chamber.??

Either way i dont feel like investigating and swapping out parts anymore. There was a point where this setup was running smooth and got over 30 mpg but now its either too tired or its something dumb but I dont want to deal with it anymore. I want it to run perfect like my other non smoking dattos...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last check and clean they were black and sooty. black,blue and white smoke.:mad: I also noticed some cracks in my header and hear some exhaust leak pops and a shot muffler. Ran great after I cleaned them but still smoked then fouled out.

I just checked and at my battery I had 12.5 vdc and at powerside of resistor I had 11.4 and on coil side it had 5.3. When I deleted it it ran good then fouled again. Using a pertronix and exide select coil.

I think the whole thing is a mess. I still consider the 24tbi but I really have no idea where to start. I wanted to put my l20b in the 521 but may have to put it in the 620 and finish the 2.2 for the 521..

Rich would be an understatement. I decided to mess with it today. I swapped out jets,venturis,adjusted float and nada. Seems odd that 5 different carbs were that shot when they have all been rebuilt. So I then decided that the 210 head is an insufficient breather so I swapped on a w58 head. That kept it from fouling out but still ran like ass so last resort.

I removed the perfectly smooth running dgv from my 510 and dropped it on. The smoke went down and it runs much better. It still has some blueish white smoke and I think that may be because of the rings getting a good wash down with raw fuel but they might be dying too. It is backfiring though and it did not do that on the 510. It stops when I adjust the timing but it is getting close to pinging. Better but not great. I can limp it around for now since its not my dd but I think I will throw in the L20b and rebuild the L18 for the dime.

Oh yeah. Check this out. When I threw on the w58 head the camshaft dowel pin fell out of the cam and boy am I lucky these are not interference motors. Must not have tightened it all the way.

Thanks.

Edited by datsunfish

Make sure you have the stock resisitance set up on the coil ballast resisitor set up 1.6 ohm coil and 1.4 -1.6 ohm ballast .

Maybe you can run a Matchbox distributor and get a .7 ohm EI type coil and bypass the stock set up so you have more current and get a bigger spark so itdont foul out.

I would disconnect the crank case vent tube and stick your head down there and if it smells like its going to KILL ya you got massive blowby.Commpression test?

Maybe all those carbs are bad? highly unlikely but never now