85 Nissan D720 4WD starts but doesnt turn off

BPattison

It's frustrating but so nice when you find it and the fix.

Steering wheel and turn signal switch change means you were in the steering column and very near the ignition switch and it's wires. I would unscrew the two part clam shell around the column and remove. I'm expecting a wire crossed over somehow and is connected to the White/Blue stripe wire coming from the ignition switch. Could be pinched or have a screw through it? Expect anything.

I was thinking about this today. You have power on 5 fuses that you shouldn't. Possibly one of the  fused circuits has a power wire crossed over onto it. This would feed power back through it's fuse and power all the others. With the engine running and key off pull the 5th 4th 3rd 2nd and 1st from the left. When you pull the fuse and it doesn't stop the engine, you can put it back in place. . When (and indeed IF) the engine quits you have the culprit.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No it's not the switch. What's happening is power is getting onto that ignition wire that that fuse should be supplying. 

Take a look at the distributor wires. You should have a black harness with three wires in it going to the distributor. On the side of this harness might be a forth wire slightly separate. It's white and has a separate plug for it. If you have this forth wire, unplug it and see if this corrects the problem.

You can see the external plug and what appears to be a white wire on the side of the harness...

Z244wiredistributorcalisingleordualplugf

Datzenmike, I have a weber carb and i pulled the hot wire to the choke on it and started the truck and after that i found that it wasnt fully tight, i tightened it and retried and now no issues, crazy but everything works now. I sure appreciate all the knowledge you have given me.

whatever power going to it i pulled it off and the choke itself was loose, i tightened the choke hand tight and reinserted the wire back to the choke and the ignition worked fine with no issues. Im not sure but maybe this was the issue the whole time. I did chase the wires under the dash and even pulled the fuse box to check the wiring there and found no issues so as to what or why it is working great now.