85 Nissan D720 4WD starts but doesnt turn off

BPattison

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. Then the ignition is NOT off even though the key says it is.

Sorry about the wipers and heater... they are on both the ignition ON and the ACCESSORY. Obviously the ACC does shut off. I would say that the ignition switch is not right. Unplugging it (under the steering wheel) should shut the engine off.

Ha ha ha well that's impossible. The first 5 fuses on the left side of the fuse box are powered only by the ignition switch. Oh boy...

Do you have a test lamp? It's a short length of wire with an alligator clip on one end and a bulb and probe on the other. On the harness side of the ignition plug find the thick White/Blue stripe wire. It probably has power but it should not.

Power is supplied like this...

Battery.... fusible link.... ignition switch..... fuse box for things turned on and off with the ignition (first 5 (or so) fuses) 2nd ignition coil, fuel cut solenoid, r window defog, gauges, turns, back up lamps. fuel pump relay

There should be no power to these with the ignition OFF but apparently there is on yours. Every thing points to the ignition switch.

You did unplug the ignition switch for sure and nothing else????  

this is a new development, the truck has been in my family since 85. I have disconnected it from the ignition and it doesnt turn it off.

You said here that you disconnected it and it didn't shut off. Confused.

If it had shut off I would say the ignition switch is at fault.

If it doesn't shut off then it's getting power from some place else.

i totally love that im having issues because it makes the diagnosing so wonderful. lets see, i have recently done several things, i have a webber carb that i moved vacuum lines due to the fact that they werent on right, i fixed a leak on the oil sending unit, i have a different steering wheel on and a whole new turn signal switch combo that i put on, i put in a cluster for the speedometer part that wasnt working, i built a btry tie down out of metal for the btry area

It's frustrating but so nice when you find it and the fix.

Steering wheel and turn signal switch change means you were in the steering column and very near the ignition switch and it's wires. I would unscrew the two part clam shell around the column and remove. I'm expecting a wire crossed over somehow and is connected to the White/Blue stripe wire coming from the ignition switch. Could be pinched or have a screw through it? Expect anything.