Interesting link - fitting a DOHC head to a BMC "A" motor - could it work on a 1200

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a few issues i see are as follows

A seres motors are pushrod motors with a timing chain at the very least a new timing cover would need to be fabricated and the gear on the crank changed to belt

distributor location would interfere with intake or exhaust (not sure if what there showing in the pics is the intake or exhaust side) the only way i could see to go here is coil packs and a computer

the dohc head appears alot taller then the stock head hood clearnce issues unless you reposition the motor mounts so the motor sits lower

custom intake and exhaust manifolds would need to be made and depending on what side of the head the exhaust is on a new eexhaust system

but if you can clear all of these hurtles it would be a cool way to breath new life into an old A series

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a thread on 1200.com about a Mazda 16v on an A-series block. As far as distributor clearance goes, it depends on intake or exhaust manifold design. If there is room, you're golden. If not, you could convert to EDIS (there is a thread elsewhere on this site). You would need to leave the cam and timing set in place because it is your oil pump drive. Cam belt drive could be external. Anything is possible with enough cubic dollars.

What happened to the dude on the 1200 forum who wanted to put a Hayabusa head on a A-series block?

Now that would be cool, although it would probably be cheaper just to put the whole busa motor in.

Damm... I don't have enough cubic dollars to even think like this anymore.

Yes, I did have a Yamaha R6 motor in the front of my Datsun, but I didn't have enough skill, or money, to mount it. The motor and 6 speed was 145lbs