help 79 620 running prob.....

79datsun620

i just finished rebuilding my engine after the truck has been sitting for several years and it runs good the first few min. then under moderate accle. it acts like its starved for fuel. from just off idle throught mid rpm's but at full throttle and a little under it runs ok. the problem is intermetent.after i limp it back to the house and let it set for a few min. it will do fine about 1/8 mile and start the symtoms again.any ideas thanks:confused:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the secondary opens and it runs good, perhaps the primary jet has some sediment in it. I had an L20B years ago that would do that. When you step into it, the extra fuel flow would draw a piece of debris up and block the jet. Once there it stayed until you shut it off, then it would fall off and away you could go again. Only solution for me was pick a nice day and take the carb off and pull the jet, and there it was, a small speck of ..rubber? Ever since I change my fuel filter with each oil change, saves the hassle.

BTW if you re-build get a can of spray carb cleaner with the red straw like the WD-40 cans. I find this works great for flushing out the tiny passages in the carb. Dissolves the crap too.

Edited by datzenmike

I liked yours as well. :)

The fuel pump is down by the tank, on the frame. With an old truck that's been sitting there could be derbris all through the system. Start at the carb and work your way back.

I had to bybass that damn pump, the clogged filter and the collapsed lines, at a rest stop on Stevens Pass with a borrowed pocket knife. Thankfully, I had a supply of fresh line and had my transfer pump with me. :P

Troubleshoot near home ;)