77 620 need help wiring the motor and coil and what wires go where please and thanks

bfaith123

Me and my brother got this 620 and we need to know what the coil wires are and where they are and what colors they are and if we can get a good picture diagram of some sort just need to know the coil wires theres 2 small red wires by the starter and alternator? Dont know what they are and dont know what the relays are or anything just need help on wiring to get this beast running thanks guys first post on here hope i can get some good help

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh... you're asking what color wires go to what parts of the ignition system? the alternator and the starter??? This could take weeks to describe.

Try....  http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat//620tech.htm  .near bottom of page '77 wiring diagram.

Welcome to Ratsun. Post pictures of your 620 and punctuate the run on sentences. They're hard to understand. Mistakes get made this way.

I need to know what colors the coilnwires are I hooked up what I thought was the coil wires but no spark to a coil I had laying around. And thanks ill check out the link.

Thanks I'm just not to great with wiring diagrams

Nonsense, if you can read you can follow a line on paper. The colors are self evident except Blue which is L because B for Black is already used. The second letter (if there is one) is the color of the stripe. Green is G but Light Green is Lg. The color code is also on that diagram.

Ignore anything that is marked with a C as this is a California option.

The coil you want is the one pictured to the bottom in the diagram. The one above is for California and wired much different.

BL Black Blue stripe goes to the tach option from the negative side of the coil.

BR Black Red  stripe is the start signal from the ignition. It sends 12 volts to the coil positive while the starter is cranking.

BW Black White stripe is on in ON and START and comes from the ignition switch. It powers the ballast resistor which drops the voltage to around 8 volts when the engine is running. This prolongs the life of the points and coil by reducing the current through them.

• Like 1

Most Ratsuners can only read a TXT meassage

How about a volt OHm meter

Turn key to ON and see which wire has 12volts

Then ck which wire has it is START  By coil then by the starter

Alternator most Datsuns   red /white is  + out put

black ground.

also you never mention if you have a ballast resisitor I assume you do.  blk white gooes to the one side of ballast then the other is out to the + side coil