rebuilt steering box-grease or gear oil?

Just got my steering box back from Meridian Auto Parts in San Diego.  They rebuilt it in a reasonable time (3 weeks from shipping it off to getting it back) at a reasonable cost $350 including shipping). 

However, it came back with a plastic plug, not the stock screw in type (mine was toast) but a push in with no vent.  It also was packed with pinkish-red grease.  I called them today and got several limited answers from customer service:  1.  they use grease for shipping purposes, 2. the grease they use is "high temp" and made to be used in the rebuilt box, and 3. The plug is to be used in the application (not just for shipping).  There were no instructions or recommended refill grease types enclosed.

They promised more information on Monday about how to proceed.  I explained to Customer service about the manual requiring gear oil of a certain rating.........they're looking into it.  

All this aside..... there is a grease out there called "cornhead grease".  It is a self leveling grease put into the gear boxes of John Deere corn harvesting machines (other things as well) to produce a "lifetime" fill.  Descriptively, it doesn't create grease channels, self levels to encase the gears, and doesn't break down.  There is a video on line if anyone is interested..........

I was wondering if this is the same stuff, should I use it or go back to the gear oil?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoke with Meridian Auto Parts who rebuilt the steering box.  They indicated they put only "hi temp" grease in all boxes they rebuild, the same you buy at any auto parts store, red, high temp grease.  Been doing this for 40 years they say...............

The box came back with a yellow push in plug as my old plastic cap was DOA.  They say I need a new vented cap to operate the box as yellow one was only for shipping.

Any comments out there in Datsun land?

I would put in the steering gear the lubricant the factory service manual recommends.  I believe a stock 510 uses a recirculating ball steering gear box.  This type of steering gear has a set of ball bearings that travel in a track, and a semi solid grease would get pushed out of the track, and not easily work back in.  A liquid oil will flow back into the ball track.