Good cheap source for wire type hose clamps.

I know this is ratsun, and who the f*ck cares about how your hose clamps look, but I remember reading a post where someone was having a hard time finding a source for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351393130624?var=620495205787&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

that's super cheap, and maybe you get what you pay for, but can they really f-up hose clamps... :)

I know im gonna buy some!

• Like 2
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, wire hose clamps are superior to flat worm gear type hose clamps!  Worm gear types tend to consecrate the clamping forces directly under the worm, leaving the "far side" vulnerable to incomplete compression and possible leakage.  You would have to beat the worm around the periphery [like when using a Marmon Clamp on the attachment of a satellite to its upper stage (yes, that's how it's done with soft plastic tipped small hammers) ] while tightening the screw to have a chance of uniformably compressing the seal, or over tightening with the possibility of inducing cracking in the cast pot metal fitting.  The wire type uniformally distributes the compression forces and while it make looks geeky it produces a well distributed force distribution around the nipple.

That having been said, I kept all my original wire clamps [looking forward to someday restoring my as delivered factory configuration] and used worm gear types but did do a little beating to insure good force distribution [a little permatex non drying sealant on the fitting and ID of the hose also helped insure a dry engine compartment].

Good find.

Now the discussion should gravitate towards the topic of "round" vs "hex" fastened head.

I have found that most originally installed clamps used the round head, with the exception if some 3+" radiator hoses. Some of the clamps sold over the counter via a Nissan dealership have the hex head.

Please share your experience.

Keith