1985 Nissan 720 engine won't start

Having trouble starting my 1985 Nissan 720, engine turns over, I hear the fuel pump and it's rapid clicking sound. I had my truck on blocks for about a month I think to have better access underneath and it had the front higher than the rear. So I'm wondering what to do, could this be a sticky float? or something else, and how would I fix this......?

Oh and one more thing, before I put the truck on blocks, it started perfectly, no issues, new plugs, new wires, new rotor and cap....

Please let me know if you require any additional information, and no I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need fuel and air

FUEL

If a carb Z24, look at the sight glass on the front of it. The fuel should be visible and at the dot on the round glass. If it has fuel it should start.

While the air filter is off take a look at the top of the carb. Is the choke closed? Pump gas several times to set it on.

SPARK

Pull each the coil wires from the top of the distributor and hold near ground and have someone crank the engine over. Got spark???

FUEL

If a carb Z24, look at the sight glass on the front of it. The fuel should be visible and at the dot on the round glass. If it has fuel it should start.

While the air filter is off take a look at the top of the carb. Is the choke closed? Pump gas several times to set it on.

SPARK

Pull each the coil wires from the top of the distributor and hold near ground and have someone crank the engine over. Got spark???

FUEL

SPARK

Wouldn't you smell gas when you take the cover off the air filter? If so, I'm not smelling it. Either my carb is gummed up and stuck, a clog or I have a messed up fuel pump.... :(

U can have a full float bowl and still not draw fuel into venturi. What happens if you dribble a quarter teaspoon of fuel(2cycle mix my choice) atop choke butterfly and then try starting? If it hits ditch the hitachi and go weber. It is the most practical versus stock....parts availability, price 4 parts, weber soft parts hold up better with this new ethmixed ffuel and the housings don't get fuzzzy/chalky so quickly when not in use. MUCH more user friendly if you read the set-up~~tune sheets.

If I ever do a 'correct' restoration I'll stick with the hitachi. My labor/money better spent on a weber if the stock carb has issues.

fuel/air...spark........COMPRESSION!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I'm not for certain, but pretty close, but I think my fuel pump is shot, when I have my truck in the on position, I'm assuming the clicking I'm hearing is a relaying going off, when I put my ear near the pump, I not hearing the whiring of a fuel pump going, if the fuel pump was working, would it normally be a noticeable noise right next to my ear? I've already got fuel filters ready to go, but haven't gotten a fuel pump yet. 

Also if I do indeed need a fuel pump, I'll be ordering one from rockauto, any idea which one I need?

I don't want to come off as grumpy, but Mike has asked two times if you see fuel in the sight glass on the carb.

Check the easy things first.

I have a 1979 Chevy K30 that I use around the property and it sits for weeks at a time without being started. I don't know why, but the fuel drains back into the tank when it sits that long and it can take quite a few cranks to get it fired.

• 7 years later...

I have a fuseale link burn up ! I replace it (made my own ) now I git the Engine to crank over but it’s starving for gas and won’t start I change the fuel pump plus also I have a weber carburetor with a manual choke any ideas on what wrong and how do I get it started I do know where the fuel pump relay is can’t really get to it could that be the problem it was running just fine before the fusible link burnt there’s no replacement for it anywhere so I did the best I could changing up the one link that was burnt! “PLEASE HELP” stranded 85 720 king cab rwd!

Have someone turn the ignition on and try to start the truck while you listen near the passenger rear tire. Do you hear the electric pump come on?????

What caused the fusible link to blow???

Did you replace it properly with fusible link???