tie rods

85"720

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also gonna do the ball joints. do I have to have a jack under the lower control arm?

Not if you let off all pressure from your torsion bars. You may need a jack and/or help getting it all re-assembled, but there shouldn't be any tension on the arms themselves.

~Peter

The torsion bar is pushing down on the LCA in order to lift the truck up. If the truck is fully lifted off the ground this will allow the LCA to droop down onto the bump stop, but, it may still have some tension on it.

I would start with the LCA unsupported.

Loosen the lock nut on the top of the ball joint but leave in on by most of it's threads.

Keep in mind here that the torsion bar is under extreme tension to pull the ball joint apart and separate the ball joint so keep the nut on but loose.

Use a ball joint 'pickle fork' separator. The torsion bar down force will aid in pulling the ball joint loose from the spindle but the attached nut will stop it from fully coming apart.

At this point provide support under the LCA and jack it upward to relieve the tension on the ball joint nut and it can now be safely removed. The LCA can now be lowered and the ball joint safely separated from the knuckle.

• Like 1