THE GOON FROM HELL!!!

Has anyone driven a dime with a locked posi rear on the steet? My rear axle is posi, cuz from race car...

Lots of people.  ^_^

It can be a little finicky in slow tight turns, and hard to parallel park, but other than that it's fine. Also gets a little loose in high speed turns sometimes...   :cool:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of people.  ^_^

It can be a little finicky in slow tight turns, and hard to parallel park, but other than that it's fine. Also gets a little loose in high speed turns sometimes...   :cool:

Thanks for the input, that's kinda what I figured. I've just never driven posi on the street. If I don't like it, I can always buy another center section and swap it out. I'm thinkin' I'll be happy with it though. No single tire burn outs for me. :devil:

BUILD DAY #5

It was a long day in the Datto Garage.

1st I installed the pedals. I fought the brake pedal for nearly an hour, before I realized it was LEFT HAND thread. :rofl: der du der...

2015-04-10_11-31-08_2331_zpszitvzvvm.jpg

Throttle linkage installed and hooked up, now I need a to hook a motor to it. :w00t:

2015-04-10_11-31-36_3871_zpsnm1hbqzd.jpg

Picture of old and new inner and outer tie rods and link bars.
the old ones were totally shot... :sick:

2015-04-10_12-28-24_538_zpsqbkdxg4x.jpg

This is where it all went to hell today! My 1969 race wagon still had the early style ball joints and steering arms/knuckles on it, so this nice shiny new ball joint doesn't fit. :console:

2015-04-10_13-30-11_382_zpsvjctvg39.jpg

pic of the passenger side... Waiting for a Steering knuckle/arm, so that I can finish it.

2015-04-10_18-02-08_7731_zpsmxikxcnc.jpg

New stabilizer links installed (almost). I found a broken bolt that I need to get out. It's for the frame mounted bushing on the driver side. (no pic ) :mad:

2015-04-10_18-02-25_251_zpsfayi3jst.jpg

another pic of finished drivers side steering assembly. I had a 1972 steering knuckle for this side.

2015-04-10_18-02-37_359_zpsaz9ppp5n.jpg

I got into my parts hoard and found some good hood hinges and painted em' black. Then I installed em'.

2015-04-10_18-13-38_921_zpscw1oddlt.jpg

2015-04-10_18-13-53_429_zpsrndrllwl.jpg

That's it for today, I'll be back at it tomorrow.

I REALLY NEED THAT STEERING KNUCKLE/ARM OR THIS PROJECT WILL BE DEAD IN THE WATER SOON. There's no Datsuns in the local salvage yards here. I'm not sure if I should feel :sick: or :thumbup: about that today...

SHAZZAM!!! :ninja:  LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND LURKING IN THE CORNER OF MY HOUSE GARAGE!!! Someone must of left it on a strut assembly that I bought at one point or another to build coil overs with. I'm not complaining though.

2015-04-11_14-27-05_279_zpsp2po2x2u.jpg

Some days it really pays to be DATSUN HOARDER! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

BUILD DAY #6

I went over to the Datto Garage bright and early today and got started.

First thing I did was finish up the front end rebuild and put that right side steering knuckle in. :thumbup: (I'm glad I'm done with that)

2015-04-12_09-07-10_509_zpsovsnnrpl.jpg

Then I fired up the ol' welder and welded the radiator support, etc. all back in place. The guy I got it from had drilled out all the welds, because he was planning to sell it on Ratsun.

Drivers side
2015-04-12_10-32-17_706_zpsc7mbufap.jpg

Passenger side
2015-04-12_11-31-27_304_zpsbpjvms9y.jpg

Then I welded in the lower front valance section. This was a pain in the ass, because most of the original tabs had been cut off instead of drilled out. I think it turned out alright though.

2015-04-12_12-07-11_624_zps398btigs.jpg

Then I test fit the fenders and hood with the grill half ass installed to see what I have so far...

2015-04-12_14-01-15_570_zpsr5e5otrh.jpg

Then I pulled the grill and hood back off and sprayed the valance black, just for :poop: and giggles. I think I like. Probably gonna black out most of the entire front.
2015-04-12_15-04-01_601_zpsygvbcgkm.jpg

That pretty much did it for today. I'm not a great welder, but every thing feels good and secure and it all lines up good, so I'm happy with it.

On a side note, I came across my 1969 Race Wagon's original rear windows. I need new rubber seals for them. does anyone sell em'?
2015-04-12_07-19-22_320_zpsqkogcwy1.jpg

Mail man stopped by and dropped off a couple goodies today :thumbup:

Speedo Cable, so I can see how fast my engine-less car goes :rofl:

2015-04-13_20-26-09_223_zps9c2psbtu.jpg

Transmission mount / a.k.a. Rear motor mount to hold my missing transmission in place.

2015-04-13_20-28-32_867_zpsqovkwtl2.jpg

That's it, I'm done for today and didn't do :poop:

I know this subject has been discussed before, but I have a tow hitch made from angle iron for a 510. If I reinforce the mounting locations on the wagon, can I tow with this car when it's done?

My 720 truck has been used for towing a mustang before with an L20 and a 4 speed with no real problems. I'm planning to eventually put that motor and trans in this car.

I'd like to pull my next race car with a tow bar eventually.

No experience with actually towing anything with a wagon but my car came with a hitch that attached to the rear cargo deck inside the car and the rear bumper on the underside. I modified it to accommodate a 2" receiver for my bike rack and made mounts that attach to the bumper mounts for additional reinforcing. It was incredibly stout and I wouldn't hesitate to tow somthing small. Not a whole car though. Rule of thumb is you'd like your tow vehicle to weigh more than what your towing especially if you're not using trailer brakes. It's not a matter of whether you can pull it, it's if you can stop ;)

The hitch assembly just sits in the corner since abandoning the concept. Interested? :D

• Like 1

Should be good as long as you're not stupid with it......

......the guy i get my engines from tows 520s & 521s from Washington and Oregon with a tow bar attached to his L18 521......

Yeah, that was my thought. I've done a LOT of car towing and never had any real issues. The wagon should almost weigh as much as my 720 truck. My truck weighs about 2700 lbs on the scale and I believe the wagon should be around 2200 lbs. maybe a little more. The future race car should only weigh around 1600lbs that I plan to tow.

I towed a Mustang that weighed 3800 lbs almost 100miles with my old 720 once and it did fine. I wasn't going to win any races, but it pulled it. The only issue I had was on wet pavement the truck pushed bad, so I'd only want to tow in dry conditions and take it easy, leaving lots of braking distance at all times. I also know that a "tow bar" pulls straighter and better than a tow dolly, which is what I pulled the mustang with.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I been slackin' on this build for a couple weeks, cuz I got Lasix eye surgery and couldn't risk getting crap in my eyes.

Got back at it today though. Took out the rigged up rear suspension on the Hell Goon and got most the good suspension off the old race wagon. Hopefully I'll finish swapping it all over tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow if I get time.

I'm planning to static slam this car, has anyone had good luck with helper springs on a goon to help from bottoming out the rear axle on the chassis and which type did ya use? There's a wide variety of styles to choose from these days.

I have some spare / extra goon leaf springs from the rigged suspension, I may try adding a couple to the stack, I would think it would help.

:thumbup: It was a long day in the Datto garage, I pulled the rest of the useable suspension out of the old race wagon today. Then I added one extra long and one extra short spring to the race wagon's old leaf springs. Bolted em' up to the "Hell Goon"  and I'm pretty happy with em'. The reason I added two leaves is because I plan to static drop the car pretty low, so I figured I may as well make the leaf springs as stiff as possible, to help keep the rear axle from bottoming out. I also removed the bump stops from on top of the axle. I have plans to add a small bump stop and put it on the frame instead. (I'm stealing the idea from Joel's build). I honestly don't think it should be much of a problem anyway, with the rear leaf springs being stiffened up.

I also bought some three inch lowering blocks at the ol' Auto Zone. I had to reshape the U-Bolts a bit to make em' fit properly, but I made it work. All in all I got most of the rear end buttoned up, except mounting the shocks and brake lines. I figure if it isn't low enough with the three inch blocks, I can still go lower, with the heavier duty springs. :thumbup: I won't be able to really see how it sits till the motor, trans, gas tank and interior are all reinstalled.

I'm going to edit in photos whenever "Photosuckit" starts working properly. I really need to find another free photo hosting site. :confused:

OK, looks like the "photosuckit" site is working now.

Here's my "mess o' springs" I started with.

springs_zpslollbbva.jpg

This was my first configuration for the restacked leaf springs, with the two extra springs. I changed this later.

springs2_zpsxseoxkga.jpg

This is what I started with under the "Hell Goon" this morning.

20150511_072138_zps4oes3ou2.jpg

This is all the rear suspension as it was under the old "race wagon" before removal.

20150511_072205_zpsepxpsrmc.jpg

Passenger side shot, with lowering blocks installed and extra springs reconfigured the way I think they are gonna stay.

20150511_174800_zpseordxla1.jpg

Drivers side shot, set up just like the passenger side. (sorry for the crooked photo shot)

20150511_174814_zpsap2xmqs0.jpg

That's it for today! :devil:

• Like 5

I'm still considering a KA24DE as a future motor for this car :devil: I know squat about em' though. I've seen pics of the motors and I see the dizzy is on the side of the head. If I set one up with bike carbs instead of injection, is there an easy way to skip all that computer crap'ola and simply hook up something like a MSD ignition box and a normal racing coil?

• Like 2

Sometimes I just can't help myself. :hug: My wife says I have a problem, she's probably right, but I had to buy this. I'm a sucker for vintage car crap, especially car stereos. Soooooo....

8%20track%20stereo_zpssziet5jr.jpg

Vintage mid-1970's AM/FM 8 Track Stereo baby. Get ya some a that :devil: Now I gotta get a good center dash section to mount it in the "Hell Goon".

Most people would think I'm wasting my time buying this to install in the car, but I have a HUGE collection of 8 track tapes. There's nothing like listening to the best song on the tape and it changes tracks (ku chunk, ku chunk, ku chunk) and then the song resumes. Ahhh... the good ol' days. :rofl: I can't wait to hear it play in the "Hell Goon". :thumbup: I'll be crankin' up my favorite K-TEL 8 track as soon as I get er' wired up and installed. B)

• Like 4

I'm still considering a KA24DE as a future motor for this car :devil: I know squat about em' though. I've seen pics of the motors and I see the dizzy is on the side of the head. If I set one up with bike carbs instead of injection, is there an easy way to skip all that computer crap'ola and simply hook up something like a MSD ignition box and a normal racing coil?

Get your engine from a Frontier. The truck KA24DE uses the KA24E short block with a slightly different twin cam head. This puts the dizzy in the timing cover (instead of the head), so you can use an L20b dizzy.   :thumbup:

Then buy/build a side draft intake and you're in business. 

tbfesd9.jpg

• Like 2