Another Drift Truck Build Attempt

The Z24 head exhaust ports can be modified to fit the KA24E turbo exhaust manifold, yes. Get the KA gasket and set on the Z head. Spray paint the ports, take the gasket off. Anything painted can be ground away (within reason)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z24 head exhaust ports can be modified to fit the KA24E turbo exhaust manifold, yes. Get the KA gasket and set on the Z head. Spray paint the ports, take the gasket off. Anything painted can be ground away (within reason)

I might try that, but I was talking about with the the KA I'm building, do I have to worry about anything when getting a turbo manifold n what not? 

I'm finally at the point to where I am going to start ordering stuff to get the motor put back together, I have found a few sites to buy stuff, but is there any particular sites you guys use to order your stuff for KAs? I been looking on RealStreet and 240sxmotoring. Hoping to order my bearings tomorrow, and after I get a little more money coming in get rings and gaskets. Hoping to have the bottom end together somewhere around mid September.

I might try that, but I was talking about with the the KA I'm building, do I have to worry about anything when getting a turbo manifold n what not? 

Trucks have a steering box at the front with a long steering column and torsion bars on that side of the engine. At least it doesn't have a strut tower. 

Trucks have a steering box at the front with a long steering column and torsion bars on that side of the engine. At least it doesn't have a strut tower. 

Hey my friend just got me a hookup on a weber carb for 75$, I was going to order my turbo rebuild kit but I'm thinkin about the carb first since my stock one is getting worse and worse, anything I should know about the webers?

First off, you'll need a Weber adapter plate. If the Weber is old, make sure you wiggle the throttle shafts to see if there's play. If there is, don't get it, it'll have vacuum leaks from there. If not, get a rebuild kit and install all the new hardware, delete most of your vacuum lines other than vacuum advance, and throw it on. On the z24, you'll need to slightly bend the hard fuel line that comes up between the intake manifold. To bend it, stick a smaller screwdriver or something of the sort down into it and slowly pull on it, don't use pliers or you could make a bend in the line which will pinch it and possibly crack it.

• Like 1

First off, you'll need a Weber adapter plate. If the Weber is old, make sure you wiggle the throttle shafts to see if there's play. If there is, don't get it, it'll have vacuum leaks from there. If not, get a rebuild kit and install all the new hardware, delete most of your vacuum lines other than vacuum advance, and throw it on. On the z24, you'll need to slightly bend the hard fuel line that comes up between the intake manifold. To bend it, stick a smaller screwdriver or something of the sort down into it and slowly pull on it, don't use pliers or you could make a bend in the line which will pinch it and possibly crackh

Alright, I'm hopefully gonna see it in the next few days. If it has any problems I'm just gonna go ahead and buy my turbo rebuild kit :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Got some 18s on the truck now, they suit it really well. Leaving the fenders flared so I have the option of throwing the 15s on when I eventually get to actually slide the darn thing. Also thinking about just converting the Z to fuel injection and then doing the turbo on this motor for now, getting the trans, getting the driveshaft made, and welding the diff. This way I should have a good base to learn to slide before I throw a higher power KA in and and up smashing it into a wall. Also the truck passed smog last week...so that's cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Drivers side window regulator gave out tonight so gonna see if I can get one before it rains. Worst timing for this. Other than that, I put a new glovebox door on (mine has been broken for almost a year), got a new speedocable, plastidipping my rims, and last but definitely not least I'm doing my coils soon. A guy in town knows how to do it and said he would show me if I bought the parts so can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I got my second 720, an 84 extended or kc just know it's got the back space, 4x4 on I think 33s. The motor is out and at my house right now, doesn't run on all 4 cylinders, has a snapped torsion bar, and some kids at the high school smashed the windshield. I priced out everything to get it good and ready it's about 450 for the torsion bar, windshield installed, new pistons, rings, bearings, and a whole gasket kit, hoping the head is fine and that the rings are just fudged. Worst case I'll pull the motor from my 85 and throw it in the truck. Pretty worth it for a free truck. Mark that Don as 2 free 720s