Differential Pinion Seal and Drive shaft problem

abbylind

My 77 620 started making noises in the drive train. Namely a rattle on acceleration and a sharp clang occasionally. The clang had a sharp ping and sounded like someone banging on the drive shaft. I examined the drive shaft and noticed it had some slop. The rear dif had a leak which had sprayed grease around the front seal. I removed the dive shaft and found the u joints were loose. The carrier bearing was OK but after 100K miles I elected to replace it and balance the drive shaft.

The diff seal is fairly easy to replace. Remove the nut that holds the dive shaft linkage and pull the linkage with a gear puller. The seal covers the face of the diff. I used a small pry bar to pull the seal out. Reverse the process and put a small amount of grease om the new seal edge and use a board with a hammer to seat the seal. The drive shaft should be re installed in the same position rotationally to maintain the balance.

Hope this helps other Ratsunners..

Ive got my 77 in my shop for some other improvements and replacements....More to come and pics too

• Like 2
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The drive shaft does not need balancing unless repaired or shortened. I've removed several flanges by steadily tapping (not hammering) forward on the back side with a 4 pound mallet. The pinion nut needs 100-120 ft. lbs. torque to tighten it.

• Like 1

The balancing was included with the u joint and carrier bearing replacement..Thats what the driveshaft exchange I use does

They replaced u joints and rebalanced the driveshaft on my M1008 military truck in the past...what a monster!

I used my air ratchet and wedged a large prybar against the driveshart bolts to remove the pinion flange. Came off pretty easy

• Like 1