New (to me) '74 620 - Gasket Replacement ?

shirokabocha

I scored a 1974 Datsun 620 for basically free - I helped a guy build a chicken coop and he couldn't pay me in cash so gave me a truck instead.

The good news is it's running. It's very cranky starting up (starts but doesn't idle until it's warmed up)

The bad news is it looks like it has leaks at the valve gasket (rocker cover) and head gasket.

I'm moderately mechanically inclined but gaskets are out of my repetoire. That and my landlord lives on site - I don't want to get into a major job and end up annoying my landlord.

My question is: how long would it take for a mechanic to replace the gaskets and seals? Since it didn't cost me any money, I'm prepared to spend soem money getting it into decent running condition. From what I can tell there's no oil in the coolant but I haven't driven it all too much. My real question is how much would it cost for me to get a mechanic to do the job but I know it's more realistic to figure out how long it would take them and guesstimate from there.

I just want a rough idea of what I'm getting myself into before taking it to a shop.

I'll try and get some pictures later to show you all exactly what I'm seeing/talking about.

I'm excited! If I can get it up and running this was a solid pickup for what came to 8 hours of labor.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, do yourself a favor and do it yourself. Head gasket: remove all the engine accessories that obstruct the head, remove cover, remove cam gear, jam the timing chaim and remove the camshaft, loosen up the head bolts in a certain order, pull the head, inspect for further repair needs and slap it all back together with new gaskets, head bolts and you might as well change the valve seals. As an extra you can get brand new bearings, valves, an oil pump and water pump and fuel filter. Get all your parts from Rockauto

• Like 1

get a mechanic to do the job ??????????? alot$$$$$$$$$$$$$

do it yourself if you have space and time and no land lord issues otherwise this truck will be bad news for you and just sell it.

valve cover gasket you can do your self. Unless it dripping mad oil from head gasket just run it and find out whats wrong with the carb. most time it can be just a minor issue.

• Like 1

My 2c. Get er fixed if you want it. Most shops will pull the head and change gaskets for around $300. Shop around it doesn't hurt to ask. I will recommend if the head is coming off might as well have it reconditioned. That usually runs from $100-$180 depending on machine shop. Again shop around. Seems doing it yourself, although will save you $, may not work out specially since you've never done it before and it sitting while you try to figure it out may be an issue, plus the possible damage to the motor if done wrong. Again my 2c, good luck to ya.

• Like 2