280z tranny 4 a 521

Hurley

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 280 z 5spds are 31.5" long and use a splined drive shaft

The 521 4 speeds are 26.3" long and use a flange that the drive shaft bolts to.

The '74-'79 620 uses the same length tranny as the 280z, and uses a two piece drive shaft like your 521, and so it's possible that you could use this shorter drive shaft in it, to make the 5spd fit. It also has the proper spline on it. You will still need to modify the tranny mount and move the shifter hole back a few inches. You might only need the shorter front one of the two piece.

Now, before anyone yells "READ THE FAQ" read the FAQ and see if anyone has done this: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129

I did my old 521 Z 5 speed swap by myself. I think the thread is in trucks named..."z 5 speed in my 521 ??" May be in drivetrain section instead,,cant remember. Had to shorten driveshaft,trans. mount & cut shifter hole a bit bigger. Theres other details involved too..just mentioned the obvious ones. PM me if you need to.

Man, I know for a fact that there are about 4 really threads with a ton of info on the subject already here. The reason I know is because I just got done doing the exact same swap. With the fifth gear, the little truck that could became the little truck that does.:D