High Idle trouble shoot?

Recon716

Okay, I have a 73 L16 with a Weber carb. I just replaced the electric choke and topped off the oil. But for what ever reason, it likes to idle at around 1800 when its cold, and 2700 when its hot. Carb is about 6 months old, fuel pump has been replaced with a Mr Gasket universal. Looked at my choke and its set right, and the high idle cam is moving on and off the screw. What do???

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

620 right?

Fast idle causes....

Choke on or part on

Fast idle cam engaged or stuck .... even though checked I included for the sake of others.

Throttle cable too tight can't return any lower.

Primary barrel prevented from closing by accelerator pump linkage (or other)

Secondary barrel not fully closing.

Fast idle screw adjusted too high.

Not familiar with the weber. Could be a wrong air bleed/mixture screw/jet??? who knows.

Can you push the throttle closed by hand?

If throttle is bottomed all the way, you must have both a vacuum leak and over rich condition.  The idle screw is probably adjusted to compensate for the leak and it revs up. Spray carb cleaner around the carb base and adapter. Adapters will crack from over tightening. If idle quality changes.....

Fuel pressure shouldn't be much above 3 to 3.5 PSI. Webers are very sensitive to over pressure and will flood.

• Like 1

Mike nailed it. 32/36. Turns out I installed the choke improperly and the high idle screw was just too tight after adjusting the linkage. Tested the fuel pressure and its putting out just under 4. But I replaced the choke because i had a small oil fire and melted the casing. I'm going to be looking at a new profession shortly.

• Like 1