Finding TDC and Installing KA24E Oil Pump

GoGoGo

Everything looks correct!!! and can also look that way with #1 piston not at TDC. I can tell by the top sprockets cam dowel holes cam positioning is spot on. For Shits and Giggles with everything as is and crank pulley pointed at TDC pull #1 spark plug and place a screw driver in there then rotate the crank left and right just a bit and see if the screw driver goes up and down. NOTE: placing the screw driver in the plug hole, it should only go in a little bit if at true TDC, if it goes in a lot ouch!!

FIRE THE BITCH UP!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is the crappiest sprocket I seen in my life.

Did you see the place of Orgin on the box.  Wonder where that sprocket was made at? That cant be Japanese!!!!!!!!!!!  I heasrd of Thailand made ones but never seen them. India?

its close enough to fire up.

L20s should be on No2 dowel setting but if you don't want to worry about it just fire it up.

Make sure the oil pump has oil in it and the valve lash is set.

what I doo is pump up the fuel pump by hand then install so gas is already in the system so it fires off faster

Couple replies:

1. I didn't build the engine myself so have no idea where the sprocket same from. It's been running fine for the last 5K miles and I drove the engine before it was pulled and sold to me so hopefully it holds up. 
  2. Oil pump has oil in it and I will crank the engine until everything has a good coat. Planning on pulling the valve cover off and getting the top end nice and lubricated manually before the first start. 
  3. I can visibly see that the piston is at the top end of the stroke and when I slightly move the crank pulley I can't even see it move until I really start to turn the motor over. 
  4. Haven't set the valve lash but that was done recently. Guess I can do it now or wait until after it starts and then do it. 
  5. Engine hasn't been turned since I installed the distributor and oil pump. The #1 wire will be about around 8:00 looking at it from the side. 
  6. This wasn't a rebuild just a clean-up and installation of a bunch of parts that were dirty and installed with a ton of blue Permatex. Plus an upgrade to the oil pump. 

Appreciate all the replies. Hoping to complete the swap in the next month or so at Dean Sherman's garage. Will document it on my build page...