PCV Upgrade Question

difrangia

I'm rebuilding the E1 engine from my 320 pickup and have a question regarding the crankcase ventilation system. This engine and the similar J13 have a breather tube to atmosphere that sprouts out of the front lifter cover. This originally vents to the underside of the engineroom through a foot & a half hose. There is also a vent outlet in the rocker cover that connects to the air cleaner housing. I'm considering incorporating a PCV valve in the rocker cover. Should I do away with the lifter cover tube as it seems to me, if it were left open, it would negate the PCV valve. Thanks.

steve

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PCV valve uses engine vacuum to draw fumes from the crankcase into the engine and burns them. The air removed from the crank case must be replaced or under certain conditions the inside of the block would get to 20 inches of vacuum and this would suck the seals in along with dirt and moisture. Filtered air is normally drawn into the valve cover from the air cleaner to replace that which was removed. Under certain conditions blow by past the rings can exceed what the PCV car remove and excess fumes will back up and out the valve cover and to the inside of the air filter and be drawn down into the carburetor.

Retrofitting the E1 with a positive crankcase ventilation would entail running the block vent to a PCV valve on the intake. The hose from the valve cover to the air filter is fine the way it is.

One thing.... the PCV valve is a small metered vacuum leak that is not accounted for on the E1's carb. Idle will be lean so the idle mixture will need adjusting. Above idle I don't know what will happen. The leak is small so if it runs lean it will only be at low speed.

This is a great idea though. PCV equiped engines run cleaner and longer between oil changes because the combustion gas and water vapors do not collect and end up in the oil.