Odd Oil Leak @ Oil Filter

jfbrink

Hey, 

Last weekend, as I was parking, I noticed that the J13 in my '66 was almost pouring oil out the side. When I got in there, it looked like the oil was coming out around the rear and lower oil filter housing bolts. I pulled the housing, cleaned it up (making sure the springy ball was clean and free), cleaned the mounting faces and put it back on with a new gasket (dry, no sealant). New filter, new old-car oil and after about 30 miles, it's leaking again, from around the bolts, albeit much more slowly. 

I can't help thinking this is some sort of more complex / serious problem, like a blockage causing excess pressure or something. 

Has anyone had something like this happen? 

Best,

Jesse. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressure is regulated at the pump. A blockage would only make the pressure rise to the maximum setting on the by pass spring.

Having said that... I did once split the oil filter can twice before figuring the pump relief valve was jammed with a piece of casting. This doesn't seem to be the cause here.