hole in timing cover

laotsu

So... god damn it! I am putting the timing cover on my LZ I am building and I notice it has a couple grooves at the bottom from what looks like a timing chain slipping or something. At first glance it looks like the inside is scored and it doesn't really effect anything. Then I turn the cover over. There's a little dab of rtv on the bottom, so I pick it off. I'll be shat if a couple mm chunk of the cover comes off with the rtv. so now I have a 2 mm hole in the bottom of my only available timing cover.

I figure since the front cover isn't really pressurized I can clean it real good and squeeze a wad of JB Weld in there.

I know welding it would be better but I have heard that welding cast aluminum is a pain in the wallet and I am out of money to spend on this project.

Anybody have a strong opinion aboot my intended fix?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

soak it in royal purple ( or similar harsh cleaner)  for a day to clean and use very hot water to clean that stuff off.  ,, it might hold.  I have a tractor that had a hole in the block and i sealed it with this stuff called Marine Tex  been holding since 1991-ish

Can you see the spot if it does start to fail?

So that sucker was really danglin :rofl: :rofl:

What cover do you need if this don't work, L20b ?? Me and the FATone might have one laying around we could send for postage, but i would have to dig a bit as we have stuff piled pretty deeeeep to get a full size truck into garage right now.

• Like 1