Best way to restore plastic grill?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it been painted before (do you see chipping paint)? The grille on my 210 is plastic but it hadn't been painted over so I can't say what would be good to remove old paint. To clean up I just took a soft scrub brush and washed it with dish soap. I then used Krylon Fusion for plastic to paint it. They also have a UV resistant coating you can buy and I use that over the paint after I've got it nicely coated and it's dried. I found aftermarket headlight frames so that's why the chrome looks all nice. I'm sure someone else had done something with their chrome. I had painted my old headlight frames (before I found those aftermarket ones) and used chrome Krylon on it. It's not bad but nothing compares to the real chrome.

DSCN1969_zps85d6ec2b.jpg

I agree with Krylon Fusion. It is formulated to bond well with plastic and worked well on my 1200 grille. Make sure you do a thorough prep job before you paint. Clean it thoroughly. I took mine to the car wash and soaked it down with Simple Green several times and let the cleaner soak it for about 15 minutes then blasted it with the high pressure rinse. It helps to rough it up a little with a fine grit sandpaper, and wipe it down with acetone before you spray. Multiple thin coats are better than one or two thick coat that might cause a run.

• 3 weeks later...