L20b noise

russaroll

i recently swapped in an L20b into my wagon and it sounds like there is a metal shelve full of loose nuts and washers under the hood when i accelerate.  it only makes this sound when moving.  here a couple (bad quality) videos.  you might be able to hear it.  :04 in the first vid

it runs good, it just makes this weird noise that shouldn't be there.  

i check the valve clearance, mess with the timing, messed with the jets.  nothing really helps.  any input would be appreciated. :)

engine specs :

L20b block, crank, rods

86mm flattop pistons

u67 head

weber 32/36

EL dizzy

car will have single 45dcoe when the machine shop is done with my manifold. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope can't make it out.

If only when accelerating check....

Crack or exhaust leak, manifold or pipes.

Engine torque causes exhaust pipe to rub against steering box, body transmission??? and transmit noise.

Fan hitting shroud

Alternator loose?

Air filter loose of hitting hood?

• Like 1

Nope can't make it out.

If only when accelerating check....

Crack or exhaust leak, manifold or pipes.  new pipes.  manifold, maybe. when i changed the head gasket i noticed some soot on the bottom of the ex portion of the gasket.  when i put the gasket back on i wiped it off and put some goo on it.  i've been checking it after every drive and i haven't noticed anything yet.

Engine torque causes exhaust pipe to rub against steering box, body transmission??? and transmit noise.  i had the muffler shop dent in the pipe where it was hitting when i had the pipes put on.

Fan hitting shroud .  no shroud

Alternator loose?  tight

Air filter loose of hitting hood?  nope,  makes the noise with the filter on or off.

Does it make the noise/any noise with the transmission in neutral with the clutch pedal not pushed in at an idle?

if i start it and let it idle nothing.  if i rev it, nothing.  it only happens under load.

my mechanic/helper (pops) seems to think it's air being sucked into the carb.  i think it has something to do with the head.  

Climb under and wiggle the pipes looking for any contact. It's the only way short of having someone take it for a ride while you are towed on a creeper.

Exhaust is always going to be loudest under load. Crack or loose down pipe connection.

sounds like the same noise my transmission makes ...i can only hear it when im in 3rd gear during acceleration... sounds like a metal noise.. mine still does it so i think i have a gear or a bearing going out in my transmission... its a 4 speed manual