Ca18det questions!

floyd17

1. Is it worth it to swap this into a b310?

2. Is it reliable?

3. Is it difficult?

4. How much fabrication is required?

5. Will my brakes be adequate for the power?

6. Transmission mount? Drive shaft? Rear end?

7. Anything I'm forgetting that I should be told.

I want to have a car I could leave work from and take to the drag strip.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its worth it

Yes, it is reliable, if you keep the CA stock

Yes its a difficult swap. The same as swapping any turbo motor in

Brakes are adequate for the car its in. Brakes are adequate for 75mph driving. Not adequate for stopping as quick as a modern minivan.

Yes, it will require a transmission mount, driveshaft and rear end. You can shorten a 210 auto driveshaft.

Yes its worth it

Brakes are adequate for the car its in. Brakes are adequate for 75mph driving. Not adequate for stopping as quick as a modern minivan.

Yes, it will require a transmission mount, driveshaft and rear end. You can shorten a 210 auto driveshaft.

How much money should I expect to spend?

Last time I looked, a good used japan CA18DET was $1350 with 5-speed and ECU wiring. It may cost more now, so search.

Add to that the cost of an intercooler, 2" exhaust and muffler, and radiator ($100 for new aluminum radiator).

If you pay a shop to do it, $5000 to $10,000.

Yes its worth it

I expect to keep it stock, and do I have to fabricate mounts?

Last time I looked, a good used japan CA18DET was $1350 with 5-speed and ECU wiring. It may cost more now, so search.

Add to that the cost of an intercooler, 2" exhaust and muffler, and radiator ($100 for new aluminum radiator).

If you pay a shop to do it, $5000 to $10,000.

Okay. Thanks for the help. I'm ready to invest in it because I really want a NICE looking fast and fun datsun.

Yes, its an engine swap. You will have to fabricate mount brackets. Very similar to L20B mounts, modify the 210 crossmember.

Ok. This would be my first engine swap. I'm gonna try to assemble as much info and parts as possible before the swap. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

• 1 year later...

CA power steering delete... Remove pump... A lot like AC delete. AC and PS on this motor each have their own belts.

Um, CA oil pans fit in the S13 chassis the same as KA/SR. So I would probably modify your truck like KA/SR guys do in that case.

CA uses different motor mounts than KA/SR. You are on your own. I ended up using the stock CA brackets and using 3/4" spacer to mount it to my crossmember.

Im doing a custom oil pan and custom steering in my car (510) so I was never worried.

Um stock turbo location is in the same spot as the steering box on a 510.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone was curious, You should buy any and all replacement engine parts (timing belt, gaskets..etc) from JDM suppliers like FRsport.com. I was told that if you bought parts for the 1986 Nissan 200SX turbo (which is USDM), you could get parts from places like Autozone. This is totally wrong. Out of the probably 20 engine parts I've ordered, only about half were the right stuff.