spring rates??

PinoyDat210

Does anybody have any information on the stock spring rates for 1980 210? I can find front spring rates for the 1200 @ datsun1200.com but I'm not sure if those are the same as the 1980 w/ a14. And theirs no info on the rear springs, not leaf i'm talking coils. And what spring set ups are you guys running??.. the reason I ask is because I'm looking to buy some springs struts, shocks, and adjustable perches for my 210. And run slightly stiffer springs, shorter, on top of adjustable perches to tighten up my handling a bit. Thanks!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have any information on the stock spring rates for 1980 210? I can find front spring rates for the 1200 @ datsun1200.com but I'm not sure if those are the same as the 1980 w/ a14. And theirs no info on the rear springs, not leaf i'm talking coils. And what spring set ups are you guys running??.. the reason I ask is because I'm looking to buy some springs struts, shocks, and adjustable perches for my 210. And run slightly stiffer springs, shorter, on top of adjustable perches to tighten up my handling a bit. Thanks!!

If you carefullly measure the width of the wire, the diameter across the coil, and the number of coils between the top and bottom where they touch I can work the rate out easy enough. The more accurate the measurements the more accurate the answer. For example the 710 spring is ...

5.0625" across the coil outside to outside.

0.5" thick

6.5 free coils, counting from where they the touch at top to where they touch on the bottom.

The stock 710 (with L20B at least) coil is 104.2  lb / in

To compare the PL510 is 89 lb / in

Maxima wagons are 148 lb / in

I'm too used too only posting in the engine section haha. I meant coil springs for the suspension not the valve springs. Thanks for the input though. I'm going to buy springs from jegs, length and rate to my desire. I just need some ballpark figures of the stock rates if the front springs are the same then that's easy, the real mystery is the rear coils. I just don't want to go to hard and be hitting the bump stops in town like all these goofs in hondas around here. Cuz I plan on using stock rated shocks and struts

A 'soft' spring is more likely to bottom and hit the bump stops than a 'hard' spring.

You really need to keep the front and rear spring rates similar. If adding 50% more spring rate it should be on all springs to keep the car handling neutral. Overly stiff springs in the rear will add oversteer, overly stiff front springs will add understeer.

For about $30 you can make your front struts adjustable for height. You can also trim the front spring to increase the spring rate using an angle grinder. Again take a few measurements on your springs and I can work out the rate. Otherwise you will be buying a lot of springs blindly to get the height and ride you want. Same with the rear springs. 

This...

74710with200sxrims001Large.jpg

... to this, and a 30% increase in spring rate for about $25.

74strutswapjune13027Large.jpg

For another $17, I replaced the strut oil with thicker 20W motorcycle shock oil to firm up the damping. Now you can't beat that.

BTW the ride height is adjustable and can tuck the tires but my wife drives this.

I was thinking about using the stock height springs and maybe buying 1" to 2" shorter coils, weld on the adjustable perches. I like the diy on the strut oil that's a good idea. Okay I will get back to you on those coils. What did you do to upgrade the spring rate?

Trimming a coil or two off the spring will both increase the spring rate and lower the height. The problem is that you may get the height you want but the spring is too stiff or too soft for your liking. You may get the ride firmness you want but it's still to high. By making the ride height adjustable you can control both separately. To make adjustable I trim the lower spring perch off and grind away the old weld on the strut tube. Install everything and use split collars under the spring perch to hold it up. By compressing the spring and tightening the collar the ride height is totally adjustable. Why buy expensive adjustable coil overs when once they are set you never move them again anyway?

I worked out the stock spring rate and then how much spring to remove to get an increase of 50%.  (once cut you can't put it back) At 150 lb/in I'm quite comfortable.  510s when raced can get over 300 lb/in but for the street car around 200 or so seems about right.