L20b wont run right, Need to get it running good for Canby

Dalesun

Hey guys, really can't figure this out. Ive searched around and didn't find any info that has helped me so far. My engine wont rev up past 1500 rpms. Has about 15hg of vacume and bouces around on the gauge. Coil is getting 12.4V and is a msd blaster 2 coil for my ei ignition. Carb is fairly new weber 32/36 and ran great on my L16 2 weeks ago. Cam is set on the #2 mark and it has a B stamp in the back. Don't know about that really. Heard it is an sss cam??? Bought the engine from a Ratsun member here in Eugene and is the block that was swapped in at Canby one year. Used my U67 head from my L16 as it was in the best condidtion out of all the heads I have. Did a conpressipn test and got 205 190 200 200. Valves are adjusted. Timing is set to 12 degress. Not matter where I move the dizzy it doesnt want to run right. Sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake and where the carb and adapter bolts down and couldnt get it to change idle speed. Really stumped here and have been trying to get it to run for the past few days. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Need to get this running so I can get to Canby this year.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't rev past 1500 RPM huh..

Does it idle smooth?  I don't think you have a vauum leak.  It would cause a shit or high idle, and likely go away when revved out.. It would also cause it to run lean, which is bad.

I'd suspect something to do with the distributor.  how's the cap and rotor?  Points or matchbox system?

• Like 1

Swapped out cap and rotor for my old ones. Also swapped out spark plugs cause my were all black. Runs better now. Can get it up to 2500 now but still wont rev up higher. Just starts to shake really bad and then will putter out the carb and wont to die unless I take my foor off the gas.

I think with 2 wires switched, it would run bad enough to not even get up to 2500 RPMs, i could be wrong tho.

1 3 4 2.

Was there anything that changed and it started doing this after?  LIke did it start doing this after you threw the weber on? 

Black spark plugs meaning its running rich.  Should be pretty clean, with a golden brown color after some use.

Fire it up, let it idle, and maybe also try adjusting the air/fuel mixture a little bit. The thing might be jetted a bit to much for that engine...   This is all free stuff to try, IDK what your problem is lol

Weber probably isnt jetted right. Ran good on my L16. Firing order is correct. 1342 counter clockwise on the right sparkplugs. Had it clockwise when I first tried to start it as was like da fack???? Then switched it and it ran.......but like shit.

I agree that low vac has a cause, but he did not say he has low vac, he said he has 15 inches and it bounces around which can also be caused a bad misfire. 

It does seem ignition(ish) Like a really weak spark, BUT...make sure you did not mess up the needle and seat somehow when switching the carb over. Also, I assume the choke is open? Sometimes it can be a really simple thing you are overlooking.

Fixed it. Runs great now. It was my ei dizzy. Bekow the rotor one of those ting tabs fell off. Was the earlier style ei. Put in my single points dizzy and swapped out coil, added resistor and it fired up and ran great. Thats for your input, really apreciate it. If all stays well ill be heading up to Canby!

• Like 2

I will be getting the matchbox design for my new ei dizzy. The one I had was given to me from Eagle Adam for free at the Blue Lake meet. Lasted me 10 months and never gave me problems until now. Defanitly want ei again. Much nicer than points.