HG failing again A15 with H89 head

rbastedo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do as you like but telling everyone they are basically morons if they don't do it your way isn't productive.

I may not post as often as you do on this site but I'm pretty active on the various MG and Austin Healey forums so I think I have a pretty good idea about forum etiquette and how and why to tell someone they are full of shit. Not saying you are, however it's when you tell other experienced people that not doing things your way is stupid that you will find some resistance.

I don't have head gasket failure, I don't have a warped head.

My way just happens to be the right way. Again-your call. I like to do things right and do them once. Never said anyone was full of shit,but if you like, I can oblige.You seem to forget that others are reading(lurking) on these topics. Accurate info is more important than some thin-skinned persons "feelings".And if you have the head off the motor,to NOT have it checked and MAYBE a skim coat removed to make sure you have a good baseline for possible future issues,is really a safe distance from genius.

Back to your issue-Good HG & flate head?Great.Carry on.

And I don't give a flying fuck about forum etiquette.

• 3 weeks later...

The new valve seals really helped but did not solve the oil consumption.

I've got really great compression across all cylinders, but a leak down test will tell the tale and I've not had time to do it yet.

Everything was great over the weekend, then this morning I start up the engine and have a big cloud of white smoke and the engine running rough.

Diminished power going uphill but no overheating.

I assume I've got another HG failure in the works, thinking I'll swap in an H72 head and send this one for a rebuild.

Very thick oil smoke can appear white.

It would be coolant only if rad needs constant topping up.

Long story:

It was burning oil more and more over the past few years.

I put new valve seals on the old head but that didn't help.

Eventually (end of March this year) I pulled that head and put on the H89 that's on it now.

I just hoped for the best, cleaned it up and measured it and checked best I could for a flat surface and used a new gasket kit.

I had shoulder surgery March 10th including rotator cup and clavicular resection and am in physical therapy so replacing the head was literally a major pain.

However that got me back on the road.

Now it's going through more oil than before, I had an issue with over filling but I'm not doing that now.

I know when it's time to add oil because it stops smoking when it's more than two quarts low.

I have a feeling it's due to sloppy valve guides but I haven't been able to check.

I bought a valve spring compressor but it's too big to work with my little springs so I can't easily do it.

Using the hammer and socket method to remove the springs is an option but I didn't want to chance messing something else up until I felt better.

Maybe this or next weekend I can do that.

Also a leakdown test will give me another data point to work with.

When it's right this thing just runs so nice and sounds so good, I really want it to be right again but don't have the budget to take it somewhere and have it done for me.

So I'll do a little at a time as I can muster the ability and as my health improves.

Thanks for all the helpfulness you guys keep offering, that's really encouraging.

Running two quarts low at any time is bad for the motor. If it gets this low between checks then it's excessively burning oil.

Clearly a lot of oil on #2

IMAG0911.jpg

Compression is extremely good so rings are likely just fine. This would leave badly worn or broken valve seals, maybe installed wrong. A badly clearanced rod bearing spraying oil all over #2 cylinder walls that the oil control rings just can't handle. Compression on #2 is also 10 pounds higher than the res,t possibly from a tight seal from all the oil..