Broken Rocker Guides in my L-Series Motor

BREdatsun

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sealik has a point on the rockers. Most atsugi rockers are 2 pc as the pad is harder and brazed on . sealed power had some 1 pc rockers and they are bad news. I seen them and they are bad.

The good rockers will have the Nissan outline or say Atsugi on them.  most are about 25$pc now if you can find them but seen places selling them for 13$ apc back in the day.

Persoanlly I never like those spray bars and cam with the hole in the backIts just a thing to brag about at the 510 gatherings to make your dick feel bigger.

i got a few spare rockers from a JY

Z motors will yield extras ;)

easy to get a good set from 1 or 2 motors and they fall in your pocket

my spray bar does make my dick bigger, not just feel that way.

Here are more photos of the cam:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101900345761190281677/DatsunValveIssue?authkey=Gv1sRgCNCG18T95cW70QE&feat=directlink#6017890987813393266

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X6xD-XXfCIKrW1vPFoRg-hCj9dPUYz1_7kJSIyEk_P0?feat=directlink

I was not there when the car was started.  In hindsight, I regret not being more hand-on.  This is costing me time and $ now.  

Replace the cam and rocker arms then set cam geometry making sure the wipe pattern is centered over the rockers pads and if the valve spring retainers are stock you may need the Nismo retainers that have a deep pocket for the thicker lash pads but this depends on the quaily of the valve job also but likely you will need new retainers. Nismo has I believe three size deep pocket retainers designed for a lash pad thickness tolerance. Likely you will not be using all the other lash pads if the cam geometry was never set. Spray bars are typically used with cams having a lift of 480 plus because of heavier springs and some of the oiling holes are on the back side of the lobe not oiling the contact area until after contact. Other oiling holes are perfect and some oil just as contact is made yikes!!! That type of spray bar works great as long as it is properly secured to the valve cover using the installation instructions because if not it'll completely miss the contact area thus killing parts and if you don't have the instructions GAME OVER!! I ran that same spray bar on my LZ22 with a DAMB Cam for year with no issues at all. No, with the spray bar you do not want to plug the oil orifice in the block to the head other wise the cam journals will not get oil. Plus with the spray bar it's recommended you plug the cams main oiling holes in cam journals 2 & 3 otherwise you may flood the valve train with oil and the rotating cam at high RPM might push oil out of the valve covers breather. I have seen rocker arms worn like that before and its from lack of oil and or improper cam geometry or a bit of both. Best bet is to pick up the How to Modify Your Datsun Nissan OHC Engine book. It shows exactly how to do all this pluse part #'s

Ya I know I'm late on this DOH!!

Before you do anything, you need to find out why there is no oil going to the head. At the very least, the socket heads in the head bolts should be full of oil. Just looking at your worn valve train parts, you can assume the motor is full of metal filings. Should probably check your main and rod bearings for damage. Basically yank the motor and start over.

I have changed the oil before removing the valve cover and taking these photos.  After discovering the crooked rocker arms in horror, I started hunting for the missing pads and other debris so I mopped up the oil.  Even though most parts were new back in the 90s, I now believe the engine was assembled incorrectly, wrong gaps, etc.  The 2nd shop who I paid to help me get this car on the road did NOT check the valve train, they installed the carbs/linkage and fired it up.  Damage done, sigh... I do blame myself for not being more hands on but this on and off for too many decades.  

To start all over, where do I get new Nissan 2 pc. rocker arms?  The dealer?  Any ideas for a new performance camshaft ideas for a SSS head?

Thanks for all the advice.

Before you do anything, you need to find out why there is no oil going to the head. At the very least, the socket heads in the head bolts should be full of oil. Just looking at your worn valve train parts, you can assume the motor is full of metal filings. Should probably check your main and rod bearings for damage. Basically yank the motor and start over.

The metal is heavier than oil and will sink to the bottom of the oil pan. It's possible that some may have been vacuumed up by the oil pick up tube that were small enough to pass the screen but these won't get past the oil filter. that's it's job. The only risk is grinding up the oil pump and I have pulled a high volume pump before and taken apart to check it. The one I had was all gritty and scored. I went back and checked the engine and there was a rod through the other side. 

Check the filter and pump for filings. Replace as necessary, and then find out why no oil to the top end.