can't get new carb to idle

laotsu

so, I was given a '77 620 KC with an auto transmission. the PO said that it wouldn't idle properly at the last smog check so it never got tested. I dollied it home, found that it ran and drove it aboot 40 miles to PnP. It ran fine with my foot on the gas on the freeway but once I hit the surface streets I found that it would no longer idle and I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. I drove it home and stopped at Pep Boys aboot five miles from my house to get some shit. when I came out twenty minutes later the truck would not start at all. I let it sit overnight and the next day it started but still would not idle. I was able to limp it home. After fucking with the idle adjustments and getting nowhere I tore the carb apart and deciced to order a rebuilt one because throwing new parts at an unknown problem always is the best fix, right? I installed the new carb and it started right up and idled at aboot 1200 rpm until I tapped the gas pedal, then it died. it started and idled again untill it warmed up and the choke opened and I fucked with the idle. Once it was hot it wouldnt even start again.

help?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tore the carb apart and deciced to order a rebuilt

First mistake.

Yes try the idle selenoid wire. idle jet plugged with rust. Open the fuel finlter to give a indication of what your dealing with.

mixture. ck the tighnss of the carb.

if no start maybe the float level is too high.

77 might have more emmissions so try plugging more to stuff to bypass.

vaccum leak?

Is this the mated manifold type intake exhaust? yes I hate those!!!!!!!!!

Nope hotwiring the solenoid did nothing. I started right up when it was cold and idled for aboot 45 seconds till it warmed up, then I had to give it constant gas or it died.

bTW the original carb came with the bccd but the new one doesnt have it.

I heard no solenoid click either

has idle cut solenoid, which I pulled from the old carb and it seemed fine. See my problem is that the symptoms are exacly the same from before the carb switch, which leads me to believe it's independent of the carb. Like a vacuum leak or electrical issue. what does the rod on a diaphragm that pushes on the linkage do? it isnt in contact with the linkage and it was on the old carb.

I wish I could find a smog legal weber, webers work much better for me.

Does it click wen turning the ignition on off on off???? If not this may be the problem and you brought it over from the old carb.

Without the idle cut working, fuel cannot get to the idle circuit. Your problem is no idle so....

Again...

Does it click wen turning the ignition on off on off???? If not this may be the problem and you brought it over from the old carb.

Without the idle cut working, fuel cannot get to the idle circuit. Your problem is no idle so....

Has to click or not likely working.