82 datsun 720 4x4 Introduction

Hondanx250

Hello Ratsun Community!

I am the new proud owner of a 82 720 4x4 5 speed!

cant wait to get started on this truck!!

i have a couple of question...

how can i reduce the play in the shifter?

any other model seats fit in this truck?

my lights don't work! got the right blinker to work but nothing else... fuses look fine... help!?!

looking to re due the brakes.. new rotors and pads up front and shoes and drums in back. whats a good place to order parts?

anyone run 235/75/15 tires on 15x8" rims? any rubbing?

any other "newbie must know" info would be  much appreciated!

14251531553_24fcbf97a5_b.jpgDSC_2036 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

14228050811_d9d4757448_k.jpgDSC_2037 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

14044714309_5cebab3765_k.jpgDSC_2039 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

14229059592_2e6213dd8c_k.jpgDSC_2038 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eeew texas :rofl:  JK!

You're gonna have to do some digging for the lights man.  I'd start by replacing fuses. don't trust they are good, replace them all. Then pull the clam shell off of the steering, and on the left side where your light stock goes into. Remove the wire connector off the back, then the two screws holding the piece in there and remove it...  Clean the contacts. They seem to be problematic on these trucks. Everyone I have owned has needed cleaned....  I might have pics of it, since i just did it a few weeks ago.

Many other seats will fit. Find something you like and install them :)

The shifter...  Usually the plastic bushings are toast.  Goto ebay motors and search for Nissan shifter bushing... about 8 bucks plus shipping.  Replace the bushings and most of the slop will be gone.

they used to have brass shifter bushings... i always got those,,, looks like plastic ones are all i see now....  You may have an ear type shifter... in that case you will need a different bushing...

Any news on if the 15x8 rims will fit? I found a set with 0 offset and was wondering the same. I have a '80 720 4x4 and believe we have the same set up. With your lights, I would start by taking a hydrometer to the battery, adding distilled water when necessary. Then clean all the posts, and grounds, including the one to the engine. I use a wire wheel on a dremel, then I coat things in an aerosol electric parts cleaner and finish with a battery terminal dielectric grease to protect. Talking about anything electric, cleanliness does wonders! Then follow all the wires, from off the battery until you've checked every centimeter of it. By checking it means putting a voltmeter on the ends and looking at resistance to the professional. I just make sure by uncovering, wiggling for brittleness, and actually looking at the wires all the way until there is no more wire to look at. Anyplace close to metal is a a great spot to rub and severe a wire; this, corrosion, and mice munching has been my experience. That's where I'd pick up at. After getting eyes on everything from staring at a clean and maintenanced battery to the bulb itself... something goods got to happen. Just today I finally got a pesky running light to work after replacing it with the right bulb. Sounds stupid, but the other one looked right, fit right, but after a " ah ha moment," to pull the other side bulb that worked and compare; I realized it was minutely different from the opposite side taken out. Ended up being the previous owner just put the wrong bulb in.

yes the wheels fit great!! i think i could even run 30x9.5x15 without a problem...

14311349073_a5fb6e2977_b.jpgDSC_2042 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

I fiqured out the lights, its was in the steering wheel unit... gummed up connecters.... but i still need to fiqure out rear light wiring....

also i have charging issues. i believe im missing wires to the alternator... anything look odd down there?

14290655334_5bfd681df7_b.jpgDSC_2044 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

here is a pic under the hood.

14268054026_0350491ec2_b.jpgDSC_2045 by badassbikesATX, on Flickr

and I need to correct myself. my trans is a 4 speed. i learned that up till 82 both 4 & 5 speed trans were long case. and the 4 speed came standard in the standard cab. while 5 speeds were offered in diesel and KC...

Glad to here you got the lights figured out. Are those rims Alcoa's? That's exactly what I'm thinking about buying for mine! They look great. But I just got a crazy idea. The old factory steels are growing on me. If you got them laying around still, would you let them go?