What tach is good for a 78' datsun 510?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pic above is of an early PL510 tach- doesn't fit a '78.

78-79 had a tach option, but it's very rare.  I've seen 3 in my life, and one is in my 78 Hatchback.

This is the stock 78-79 tach:

510dash.JPG

This is a stock 80-81 dash.  A tach was standard equipment:

81Wagon02.JPG

The 80-81 510 tach fits in the 78-79 cluster and wires in, however the idiot lights don't line up (the 80-81 don't have an oil light, so the brake was moved to bottom left and there's nothing top center).  It's also backlit through the plastic rather than lit via reflection, so it would look weird at night. 

I did that in my '78 Wagon.

To make it less weird at night, I swapped both the tach and speedometer from the 81 cluster into the 78 cluster.  That does leave me with only a 85mph speedo, but I do get a true 6-digit odometer and a much more visible tach/speedo at night.  The fuel and temp gauges are original reflection-lit ones, as the later ones don't fit the cluster.  I didn't fix the idiot light issues, so the #4 lights up with the brake, and the "brake" is actually the oil light.

78moddash.jpg

The pic above is of an early PL510 tach- doesn't fit a '78.

78-79 had a tach option, but it's very rare.  I've seen 3 in my life, and one is in my 78 Hatchback.

This is the stock 78-79 tach:

510dash.JPG

This is a stock 80-81 dash.  A tach was standard equipment:

The 80-81 510 tach fits in the 78-79 cluster and wires in, however the idiot lights don't line up (the 80-81 don't have an oil light, so the brake was moved to bottom left and there's nothing top center).  It's also backlit through the plastic rather than lit via reflection, so it would look weird at night. 

I did that in my '78 Wagon.

To make it less weird at night, I swapped both the tach and speedometer from the 81 cluster into the 78 cluster.  That does leave me with only a 85mph speedo, but I do get a true 6-digit odometer and a much more visible tach/speedo at night.  The fuel and temp gauges are original reflection-lit ones, as the later ones don't fit the cluster.  I didn't fix the idiot light issues, so the #4 lights up with the brake, and the "brake" is actually the oil li

I'm so jealous of that tach....and clamshell