braveops

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're swapping a 510 for a KA?

You need all the 510 wires.

lol i geuss i worded it wrong. so i have to tie in all engine wires from 510. i was not sure with the regulators and coil going to the ka24de engine harness? i think i have the wires from ecm labeled right to hook them to the relays

Well you'll need all the lighting wires and the starter. The KA alternator will be internally regulated so your 510's external reg will need removed and a couple of pairs of wires joined together to convert it and the KA alternator has a different two wire plug than the L series. Your L series temp gauge wire will need to be routed to the KA water temp sender, where ever it is. Oil sender is about the same location. You won't need the electric choke wire or the choke heater relay. The KA will need it's own KA coil so your coil and ballast resistor isn't needed.

This will convert the 510 over for use with any internally regulated alternator.

510iraltswap.jpg

Yellow to White and White/Black to White/Red. As the old regulator wasn't going to be used I cut the plug off of it and joined these wires. The other wires I poke out. Now the old plug just plugs into the engine harness neatly. Be sure to insulate those solder joints. The next one I did with shrink wrap rubber tubing.

710IRaltswap013Large.jpg

On my '74 710 I made up and adapter to plug between the engine harness and the KA alternator.

71080ampKAaltswap001Large.jpg

Like all EFI systems today they do not like low charging voltages. The 50 amp stock alternator drops with headlamps, wiper and heater on. As you well know, turning the turn signal on causes the lights to dim with the flasher. The KA alternator is a well regulated 90 amp output making the lights brighter and the heater a tornado.

i just pulled the 4 wires out of plug and i think i am going to cut connectors off and solder the Yellow to White and White/Black to White/Red to each other then i dont have any issues hopefully?

why not use the odl volt reg side plug and solder the wires.

Hopefully you wernt a moron and cu the engine side harness in case you want to go back stock(keep it orginal)

for some reason 510 engine harness wires are allways hacked up!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just pulled the 4 wires out of plug and i think i am going to cut connectors off and solder the Yellow to White and White/Black to White/Red to each other then i dont have any issues hopefully?

why not use the odl volt reg side plug and solder the wires.

Hopefully you wernt a moron and cu the engine side harness in case you want to go back stock(keep it orginal)

for some reason 510 engine harness wires are allways hacked up!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I did I just solder them. I geuss im a dumb ass as I cut harness.ooops but it's been cut before I got it